News Editor Megan Stanley reports on the U.S. News Global University Ranking, which puts UoB in the top 100 universities in the world

News Editor. Final year English Literature student.
Images by Redbrick

The University of Birmingham has been ranked 96th in the world in the Top 100 Global Universities according to the U.S News Global University Ranking.

The University is now a top 100 global university, compared to last year when it was placed at 107.

The US News Best Global Universities Ranking measures the quality of academic research and reputation, ranking 1,250 institutions across 75 countries.

The latest rankings represent a significant achievement for all of our staff and demonstrate the increasing recognition of the global impact and reach of our research

This follows 2019 QS World University Rankings at 79th and joint 116th globally in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings.

In response to this Professor Sir David Eastwood, Vice-Chancellor, said: ‘The University of Birmingham is hugely proud of its standing as one of the world’s leading universities. Our research creates innovative and enduring solutions to some of the world’s biggest issues. The latest rankings represent a significant achievement for all of our staff and demonstrate the increasing recognition of the global impact and reach of our research.’

UoB has a large international student body, with 6,500 students from 150 countries.

In the UK league tables, UoB is 20 university. UoB was ranked 14 in The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide, 15 in the Complete University Guide, and 19 in the Guardian University League Table.

Ranked number one in the U.S News Best Global Universities is Harvard University, followed by Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Stanford University.

Redbrick spoke to Alex Cirant-Taljaard, a final year Politics student, who commented on UoB’s newly acclaimed ranking. He said, ‘The ranking doesn’t matter very much to me, as it doesn’t change the way I feel about the university. I care more about student satisfaction than research quality’.

Only two UK universities were placed in the top 10. The University of Oxford was ranked number five and the University of Cambridge placed seven.