The University of Birmingham has been placed 10th on the ‘Which?’ university guide for most political university.

Education Correspondent. 3rd year History student. Interests: History, Politics, Journalism.
Images by Millie Guy

The University of Birmingham has been placed 10th on the ‘Which?’ university guide for most political university, beating both the University of Sheffield and Queen’s University Belfast to tenth spot.

'accredits the universities’ high political success to the Guild of Students'

Rankings for this site are voted for by students. 68% of students believe that the university has a strong political life, ranking it as ‘high’ in its comparison with all other universities.

Questions asked to students in order to ascertain the university’s political ranking, according to Which?, included ‘if there are lots of different political groups and activities, such as meetings and demonstrations at [the] university, and whether politics is a visible part of the university experience.’

‘Which?’ accredits the universities’ high political success to the Guild of Students, where each student automatically becomes a member when they join the university.

Birmingham did however achieve higher in the 2012 – 2013 academic year, reaching 7th place, largely due to an influx of Scottish universities claiming ‘top 10’ places this year. This could be in connection with the growing political excitement of possible Scottish independence, with universities being used as forums for discussion and debate.