Written by Ella Robinson Policies Elio ‘2014’ Di Muccio Primarily, Elio plans to “scrap the bureaucracy” through the eradication of the speaker request form because it is unnecessary and complicated. He plans to create an online form database to make the process easier because as students it is hard enough to manage our time between […]

Written by Ella Robinson

Policies

Elio ‘2014’ Di Muccio
Primarily, Elio plans to “scrap the bureaucracy” through the eradication of the speaker request form because it is unnecessary and complicated. He plans to create an online form database to make the process easier because as students it is hard enough to manage our time between studying and participating in student groups.
Secondly, Elio wants to make events more accessible and he plans on achieving this through the creation of an interactive online calendar, which all student groups can contribute to. He claims that one benefit of this would be the prevention of double booking events on any one particular night. Additionally, Elio intends to place more emphasis on student events on the guild website. Elio also aims to abolish the booking fees on the guild website because it is “not right.” Instead, he hopes that the private entertainment providers that use the website will pay for the costs of running it.
Thirdly, Elio is hoping to create a ‘student group recruitment taskforce’, which will integrate volunteering RA’s because students, especially freshers, are not accustomed to the guild in their first week of study. Therefore, he wants to move the societies fair into student halls of accommodation to encourage students to join societies.
Good Golly Miss Molly
Primarily, Molly plans to implement the ‘pay your bills with society skills’ scheme, which she believes will address the lack of graduate employment advice within the guild. Molly hopes to work more with the careers network in order to integrate it within the guild and to centralise Jobzone.
Secondly, Molly intends to create a ‘Society Saturday’ which would witness a collection of like-minded groups situating themselves on the Vale on a Saturday for a couple of hours to discuss how students can get involved with societies by informing them of what events they are planning and in general, she claims that it will make societies more accessible to students. Molly thinks this is extremely important because students can miss groups, associations and societies all too easily in the rush of fresher’s week.
Thirdly, Molly aims to create a better guild website. She claims that this can be achieved through improving the NUS website that it currently in operation or by simply introducing a brand new website. Molly holds that this is of paramount importance because it will improve communication between the guild and students. Furthermore, Molly intends on making the events calendar easier to find and more comprehensive, in order to achieve better turnouts at events and make it easier for societies to organise events.

1. What tangible action would you take to engage women in the guild?

Elio answered that giving rooms to isolated groups in the guild would help to engage women whilst Molly answered that she would work with the Women’s Officer and create office hours so that women can speak to her personally about progressing within the guild.

2. How important do you think the guild media groups are within the guild?

Molly stated that due to her background in guild media, she thinks they are very important. She believes that the guild marketing team at the university need to work more consistently with the guild media groups and offer them support. Molly focuses her point on the idea that Burn FM, Guild TV and Redbrick need to be promoted throughout campus and student living. Elio replied that the media should take on an educational role and reach out to the wider community. He places emphasis on the issue of investment, claiming that it should be more publicised.

3. What would you do to help societies gain better access to rooms especially within the wider university?

Molly answered that she sympathises with societies and recognises that it is a massive issue because the application system for rooms is complicated. She claims that there are empty rooms on campus that the university should be helping societies to use. Due to the fact Molly hasn’t spoken to higher management about this issue she said she would fail to give a concrete answer, however she will look deeper into this issue because she doesn’t want to limit student groups. On the other hand, Elio responded by further saying that the rooms on campus are not equipped with what individual societies need. He recognises this as an emergency and in order to overcome it he advocates that societies should be able to use the staff system to book rooms.

4. How much substantive and specific research have you done and have you conveyed to the voters?

Elio claims that this is a question of experience and knowing what the problems are. By working collectively, he claims that the guild of 2014 can lobby the university and be stronger together. Conversely, Molly answered that she has spoken to a number of people for example, career services, various societies, and the current Vice President of Activities and Development Ollie Cosentino to determine whether her policies are plausible.

5. The visibility of Representation and Liberation Associations is a problem. What would you do to specifically improve this?

Molly answered that often this problem is due to people not being aware of their presence. She claims that through an Association week and working alongside the Vice President of Welfare when they are running campaigns these associations can be put at the forefront. Furthermore, Molly notes that addressing disabled students is necessary too. Elio’s response centred on giving priority to liberation events; he believes that every society should have at least one event to put forward liberation issues.

6. Can you foresee any obstacles in the implementation of your policies and how would you overcome them?

Elio answered that there are inevitable problems because he has watched other officers closely and claims that everyone always promises to implement an abundance of changes during the campaign however, they manage to achieve less because it is difficult to get things through. He said that the goal of the 2014 campaign is to work collectively in order to fight whatever obstacles arise and consequently, this will put the team in a better position. Molly responded to the question by arguing that there will always be the obstacle of funding. Specifically to her policies, Molly answered that by working with the NUS to create a better website instead of creating a new website will save money. She claims that ‘Society Saturday’ will require cooperation from groups however by working with them she will do whatever she can to alleviate any of the extra work it might cost. Finally, in regards to ‘pay your bills with society skills’ the careers network seem very receptive to the idea and there should be no obstacles in that respect.

7. What sets you apart from other candidates?

Elio claims that one additional thing which he has is his commitment to making this guilds campaigning and fundraising teams and student groups a part of mitigating and fighting the cuts that are going to affect our community very soon. Molly answered that her past experience sets her apart from other candidates. She has been in the guild for the last three years; she has been a constant part of media and music societies and has therefore attended many events. She has been in guild council for the last two years and is currently a student group’s committee member meaning that she oversees the applications for new groups, the disciplining of current groups and the allocation of funding. Molly states that she has covered many of the areas in the guild that she would be looking at as Vice President of Activities and Development. Furthermore, Molly is insistent that she loves the guild and would work herself “to the bone” to make everything a success.