Tom ‘2014’ Wragg He is running for the Vice President of Democracy and Resources position. Tom’s three main policies are ‘Cheap housing, food and transport. To increase student control of budgeting and events and for a guild for financial and environmental sustainability.’ As the only candidate running for Vice President Democracy and Resources Tom was […]

News Editor: March 2013 - April 2014

Tom ‘2014’ Wragg

He is running for the Vice President of Democracy and Resources position. Tom’s three main policies are ‘Cheap housing, food and transport. To increase student control of budgeting and events and for a guild for financial and environmental sustainability.’
As the only candidate running for Vice President Democracy and Resources Tom was asked, in an interview, how has having no one to run against affected him and his campaign strategy? He answered, ‘Having no one to run against hasn’t really affected my policy as per say, but in terms of campaigning it does make it different. It’s disappointing that no one else wanted to run as I thought, to be honest, that lots of people were going to run and I don’t really know why they eventually decided not to. It does make it interesting though because I still have to prove that I am the right person for this job and that people want to put me in this position of power effectively.’Tom mentioned transport as one of his main policies and his introduction of a new green cycling scheme, lead to the question of how will the bikes be prevented from being stolen? Tom answered that ‘we want this sustainable scheme to work and we don’t want to introduce more bike racks like we see at the moment but gain covered housing for bikes which would hopefully reduce the theft and encourage more people to use cycling as a healthy and fast option and the amount of people cycling has increased year on year for the past few years’.

At the Vice Presidential Question Time Tom opened his speech by stating speech his main policies including the need for better housing, food and transport. He went on to mention the Housing co-op that the ‘Guild of 2014’ plan to implement. Tom then went on to say how he wants to work strongly and co-operatively with students and the university to promote sustainable living and also how he feels that working with the university and Birmingham City Council to improve cycling facilities will help increase sustainability. In answer to the pre-posed question regarding women and guild politics, Tom noted that ‘the Guild of 2014’ had put through more women than men candidates and acknowledges the fact that working with the women’s association was vital in order for it to push forward. However, one of the questions from the audience asked whether, as Tom is running for democracy, he felt that it was fair to run as part of a slate? Tom answered that he felt that it was a positive thing that everyone who is part of the ‘Guild of 2014’ campaign is openly supporting each other and that they are ‘positively running together to put forward policies which value accessibility to all.’