Hattie ‘2014’ Craig She is running to be Vice President of Education. Her manifesto contains the three following policies. ‘Protecting the quality of education by empowering students in the guild to campaign against course cuts and closures, giving students more of a say over their education by creating democratic structures and improving links between students […]

News Editor: March 2013 - April 2014

Hattie ‘2014’ Craig

She is running to be Vice President of Education. Her manifesto contains the three following policies. ‘Protecting the quality of education by empowering students in the guild to campaign against course cuts and closures, giving students more of a say over their education by creating democratic structures and improving links between students and staff, and giving every student a fair chance to succeed in education by providing a diversity of assessment style, tackling hidden course costs and widening the bursary scheme.’

Hattie ‘2014’ Craig is the only candidate running for Vice President Education for the next term. In an interview I asked Hattie how she felt about being the only candidate running for the VPE position and she answered ‘ I guess it was a bit of a confidence boost when I found out that no one was running against me but it was also a bit disappointing as I kind of wanted the competition and a challenge of actually winning against another candidate and I wanted the legitimacy as well. It’s changed my mindset but I am also still going to campaign very hard. I am also not campaigning on my own, I am running as part of a collective of the Guild of 2014 Campaign so obviously I will be supporting the other candidates as well.‘

In the interview Hattie also commented on the similarities of her policy to the current VPE as the ‘most pressing issue at the university at the moment is course cuts and course closures and that is what Simon ran on last year. My policy has more of a liberation focus, simply coming from a liberation background and doing more things with the women’s association etc. so I want to work to make sure that education is as inclusive as possible, everyone has a fair chance to succeed and characteristics and background shouldn’t have to come into it.

With only one candidate for Vice President of Education, Hattie Craig came under scrutiny from the audience of the Vice Presidential Question Time for recent allegations linking her with the throwing away of votes. Hattie opened her campaign on the floor by stating that she feels we all have a right to fight for the quality of education we receive, mentioning recent cuts to the IAA, nursing and sociology departments. Hattie also went on to talk about how successful courses are expanding and are not taking one extra staff and the impact of this on the students. She also mentioned her pledge to get better training for personal tutors so their service can be more effective. When asked from the floor to explain the situation regarding the voting allegations Hattie denied any claims and said the situation was a complete misunderstanding. She also answered questions ensuring that she wants to make a minimum number of contact hours for courses to adhere to, give everyone a voice no matter what course you are enrolled on and expand popular courses successfully.