Vogue's Most Influential Women 2018 | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Vogue’s Most Influential Women 2018

Deputy Editor Kat Smith comments on Vogue's 2018 list of influential women

When I first saw headlines about Vogue’s ’25 Most Influential Women’ list, I saw Dua Lipa on it and my heart sank a little. Don’t get me wrong, I love ‘New Rules’ as much as the next girl and will be the first to scream the steps to my friends going back to dodgy guys, but I was worried this was going to be what female success had been reduced to.

Vogue’s ‘The Girls Who Ruled 2017’ list was nothing much more than a list of popular celebrities and models, such as Kendall Jenner and Cardi B. Most of the accomplishments mentioned felt superficial, with Cardi being commended for her ‘immaculate nails’ and ‘ever-changing hair’ feeling slightly insulting. Though there were sportswomen and models making a difference on the list, overall it felt like it was catering to the stereotype of what a woman can be successful at. It was a fun read but slightly disheartening to see that to ‘rule’ you must be perfectly manicured and have pristine vocal chords.

Vogue’s list of influential women is varied, simultaneously encompassing both obvious heroes and the hidden gems

But this time around, I was pleasantly surprised. Vogue’s list of influential women is varied, simultaneously encompassing both obvious heroes and the hidden gems. It’s a refreshing reminder that female success is not defined by fame or beauty, but actual, real accomplishments (shock!).

From biochemist Priyanka Joshi to advertising director Karen Blackett, TV producer and environmentalist Orla Doherty to actress Letitia Wright, Vogue have acknowledged many unsung heroes of modern society. The success of these women is not restricted to their effects on women but on medicine, retail, the environment, race, mental health, and much more.

I was excited to find out that the CEO of ITV (Carolyn McCall) and President of the Supreme Court (Brenda Hale) are both female and was also slightly kicking myself for not knowing this before. It’s a huge wake-up call that there are many female role models out there for us, not just the celebrities we see on screen. It’s as empowering as Time’s list of 100 Most Influential People 2018, where female politicians and firefighters are celebrated alongside their male counterparts.

It’s a huge wake-up call that there are many female role models out there for us, not just the celebrities we see on screen

If we were made aware of these women in school, at university, in the media etc., I think it would have a momentous impact. Seeing women succeed so greatly in sectors I am interested in when I am so often fearful that my gender will disadvantage me, makes me feel limitless.

So maybe I am a little biased because three fantastic journalists were mentioned, but Vogue’s list is a whole new level of girl power and I am definitely here for it. It’s time we started celebrating women for the full range of our accomplishments and not how well we scrub up for photoshoots and award shows.

Current Deputy Editor, confused philosophy student and pitta enthusiast (@katlouiise)

11th June 2018 at 12:47 pm

11th June 2018 at 12:53 pm

Pajam