Vice President (Welfare) All the VP Welfare candidates have been out on campus campaigning this week and spoke about their policies at the hustings on Tuesday. The VPW supports university students experiencing difficulties by making help available on campus. They also protect and improve student rights, as well as supporting lifestyle changes to enhance student […]

Written by Judith Hawkins

Vice President (Welfare)

All the VP Welfare candidates have been out on campus campaigning this week and spoke about their policies at the hustings on Tuesday. The VPW supports university students experiencing difficulties by making help available on campus. They also protect and improve student rights, as well as supporting lifestyle changes to enhance student well being.

Candidates
Katherine ‘eastyJet’ East
Matt ‘Rolfe’ Harris
Claire Lister
‘Ask’ Jess Bethom

Katherine ‘eastyJet’ East
Katherine ‘eastyJet’ East wants an overhaul of the mitigations system to make it fairer to students, to make campus more healthy by bringing in more good value, healthy food, to bring back SHAG (Sexual Health Awareness and Guidance) Week, and to bring in a freshers package for new students paying £9000 next year, so that they know how to get the best out of their money, along with advice on getting an NUS card and where to find the nearest healthcare services.
Back to top

Matt Rolfe ‘Harris’
Matt Rolfe ‘Harris’ is campaigning to bring back the Night Bus, to create a my.finance tab on the my.bham portal which will streamline students’ finances and give a breakdown of the bursaries which are available and what each student is entitled to within their school, and also to create a healthy living scheme which will involve all areas of student health.
Back to top

Claire Lister
Claire Lister, who is not running with any theme because she believes that they take away from the policies, wants to promote the aims and objectives of liberation groups within the Guild, to reduce waiting times for counselling by increasing the number of counsellors in the University, and to use online media and other campaigns to ensure the welfare services offered by the Guild such as the ARC and SHAC are accessible to students.
Back to top

‘Ask’ Jess Bethom
Ask Jess Bethom says she wants to clarify the welfare system so that students know exactly who does what at the Guild, to reform and rebrand Welfare Wednesday as she believes that most students at the University don’t know what it is, and finally to provide more information about mental health issues on campus.
Back to top