Redbrick critics James Moore and Gurnesha Bola round up the trailers that have them the most excited this week.

Images by Slash Film

Eye in the Sky

I am perpetual, I keep the country clean. God, what tension. I love full length micro films. Take Ex Machina: small cast, simple concept, pristine execution. If Eye in the Sky comes close to as good as that I’ll be pleased. This film looks like a serious Dr. Strangelove and it knows it. With a killer cast of Helen Mirren, Aaron Paul and Alan Rickman, who all need no introduction, it’s hard to see how this could go wrong. Director Gavin Hood questions the morality of modern warfare and the intertwining of politics and the military in a single event with one question – to kill or not to kill. Is it worth taking one innocent life to save possibly hundreds more? But then what? If you do kill that one person do you lose all credibility and endanger even more? I can’t say I’ve liked any of Hood’s previous films – Ender’s Game completely lost the meaning of the book and X-Men Origins: Wolverine was a disgrace; maybe this will change my opinion of him.

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon: Sword of Destiny

Rumours of a Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon sequel have been around for a while, but now we have a concrete trailer. Crouching Tiger is the highest grossing foreign-language film in American history at $213million. The original director, Ang Lee also of Life of Pi, does not return – but his replacement, Yuen Woo-ping, choreographed the original as well as The Matrix and Kill Bill. This sequel is coming directly to Netflix and Imax theatres, and I don’t mind that. The song in the background is an odd cover of Credence Clearwater Revival’s Bad Moon Rising, San Francisco is about as far away from China as you can get. I can’t decide if it looks to be the same as the original or if it’s toned down the extreme rope antics. The original was defined by its utter nonsensical fight scenes. On the one hand we do have people backflipping, flying through the air and leaping up buildings, but compared to the mayhem of the original this trailer doesn’t sit right with me. It all seems too tame, but maybe they’re saving the best for the film itself. It’s also a little worrying that only Michelle Yeoh made it over from the original cast, but then again, it was fifteen years ago.

Both James Moore

The Nice Guys

Ryan Gosling is back. After stepping away from the camera (and a short stint behind it) Gosling is returning to the big screen in multiple upcoming projects – including Shane Black’s (Iron Man, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang) newest offering, The Nice Guys. Gosling plays a struggling PI whose services are called upon by a hired ‘fixer’ (Russell Crowe) in order to find a missing girl and investigate an apparent suicide. Obviously, then, this sees them running straight into the centre of an organised crime ring. If the trailer is anything to go by, Gosling and Crowe together could be a masterstroke of casting. Set against a crisp and bright 70s backdrop this is part ‘buddy-cop’ comedy, part noir-inspired thriller, injected with comic violence (see opening sequence): this is potentially Shane Black in his element.

Gurnesha Bola