Film critics Roshni Patel and Joe Ryan round-up the biggest trailer releases this week, from big budget sci-fi to literary adaptations.

Come for the sports, stay for the trailers and TV spots! Roshni Patel takes on the biggest Superbowl trailers, while Joe Ryan highlights one of the most eagerly anticipated films on the release horizon from Brit cult-classic creator Ben Wheatley.

X-Men Apocalypse

This TV spot was one of the two disappointing contributions from FOX. Unlike some of the other trailers and TV Spots, this gave us nothing new and felt more like a condensed version of the first trailer. Despite getting a quick run through of some of the younger versions of some of the original X-Men mutants, such as Storm (Alexandra Shipp), Jean Grey (Sophie Turner) and Cyclops (Tye Sheridan), this wasn’t anything we didn’t know. Here’s hoping for more titbits from the next trailer.

Independence Day: Resurgence

Another one? 20 years after the original, director Roland Emmerich is back with a sequel, which seems equal parts brilliant and terrible. The original film was a flimsy sci-fi at best and sequels are rarely a good idea. This year Jeff Goldblum returns, aided by Liam Hemsworth, to perform another totally unbelievable feat to save the world from aliens once again. Despite the TV spot only showing 30 seconds or so of the film, I don’t hold high hopes for the full-length trailer, which is sure to show much of the same.

Captain America: Civil War

After waiting months for another trailer, another look at what’s instore this summer, Marvel have finally answered our call with a short TV spot. Soundtracked by the eerie chant of “United we stand / United we fall” this 30 second spot didn’t give much away, but we did get a closer look at the teams, confirming that both Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson) and Black Panther (Chadwick Boseman) are on Team Stark (for the battle at the airport at least). We also glimpsed some new footage – from Stark’s cool new Iron Man gloves to how Captain America found Bucky.

The Secret Life of Pets

Based on one of the biggest mysteries of life, The Secret Life of Pets hopes to shine some light on the humorous things our pets do when you leave them alone during the day. While it’s no documentary, many pet owners may want to believe that is, as the pets get up to all manner of mischief when left home alone. The TV spot was a mere tease at the hilarity of the film and instead redirects us to the full-length trailer for more. Filled to the brim with well-know actors (including Kevin Hart and Steve Coogan) to voice these mischievous pets, this is an animated film to look out for this summer.

The Jungle Book

This was the much-anticipated full trailer for Disney’s latest live action adaptation, The Jungle Book. Where the first trailer was just a combination of the soundtrack and Scarlett Johansson’s disembodied voice, this second trailer showcases some of the highlights of Jon Favreau’s latest film. However, we were still left questioning which direction Favreau will take – a light-hearted, live action remake; or a darker reimagining following closer to the original book and the early storyboard for the animated film? Another pressing concern before the film’s April release is whether you’ll be able to associate the big name voices to the characters or whether they’ll sound just as disembodied as Johansson’s did in the first trailer.

All above by Roshni Patel

High Rise

Ben Wheatley’s take on J. G. Ballard’s dystopian novel is definitely looking the part. This trailer captures a sleek yet distinctly brutalist style expertly realised by Wheatley and his cinematographer and long-time collaborator Laurie Rose. Hiddleston looks to be on typically good form and I’m excited to see the return of Reece Shearsmith (A Field In England) to Wheatley’s work, if only for what seems to be a bit part. The psychedelic electronica of the soundtrack fits the aesthetic like a glove and we can only hope they stick with this sound for the full film. It must be said, however, that this trailer does seem to over-simplify the central, class-struggle theme of the narrative and towards the end, descends into the typical flash-frame, thumping music trope you see in many a trailer these days. Fingers crossed the film doesn’t become as generic because there is potential here for a great and unusual dystopian thriller.

Joe Ryan