Police Charge 15-Year-Old Boy After Selly Oak Stabbing | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Police Charge 15-Year-Old Boy After Selly Oak Stabbing

West Midlands Police have released confirmation that they have charged a 15-year-old boy with attempted murder following the stabbing on Heeley Road in Selly Oak on Sunday morning

A statement from West Midlands Police, released on Monday 8th, said: ‘We've arrested three teenagers in our investigation into an attempted car-jacking. Two boys, aged 15 and 17, were arrested on suspicion of attempted murder last night and a 15-year-old girl was arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to rob. The three remain in custody this morning'.

A 15-year-old boy has been charged with attempted murder and a further six counts of attempted robbery

In a new statement, it has now been confirmed that a 15-year-old boy has been charged with attempted murder and a further six counts of attempted robbery, while a 17-year-old boy has also been charged with six counts of attempted robbery. A 15-year-old girl has been released without a charge.

Commenting on the breakthrough, Detective Inspector Vanessa Eyles stated: 'While violent car-jackings such as this are rare, we understand the fear this incident has caused in the Selly Oak area. We have extra officers on patrol 24 hours a day, particularly around the student community, many of whom are new to the area'.

On Sunday, a 999 call was made just before 06:30 from a friend of the victim, who was found with multiple stab wounds in the chest and stomach. The victim has been described by Inspector Caroline Corfield as ‘seriously ill in hospital’.

Monday’s statement said that ‘they had been chased into an alleyway by two teenagers who demanded the keys to their car. The 22-year-old victim had been stabbed in the stomach and chest, and was rushed to hospital where he remains in a critical condition’.

Guild President Reece Patrick Roberts confirmed that the stabbing victim is not a student at the University of Birmingham

In a post on Facebook page ‘Fab n Fresh’ on Sunday, Guild President Reece Patrick Roberts confirmed that the stabbing victim is not a student at the University of Birmingham. He also confirmed that ‘the Guild will meet with the University and West Midlands Police to get the full details of the incident’ on Monday 8th.

Anyone with information related to the attack has been urged to call West Midlands Police on 999 or use the Live Chat feature on WMP Online (log number 700). Alternatively, they can contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.

News Editor and second-year History student. Elections Editor 2019. (@tomleaman_)

Erin Santillo