James Moore and Roshni Patel review three of the biggest new trailers to release over the Christmas period.

Images by Warner Bros

With the usual myriad of Christmas releases comes just as many trailers – from blockbuster to feel-good British comedy, Roshni Patel and James Moore round-up the biggest three.

Star Trek: Beyond

This December saw the release of the latest installment of the Fast and Furious franchise by Star Trek director – or rather, what I meant was the new Star Trek film by Fast and Furious director Justin Lin. But you would be forgiven for making the same mistake when watching the trailer, which is both fast and furious in tone, complete with Beastie Boys’ Sabotage, impossible feats and Kirk (Chris Pine) flying through the air of an alien planet on a motorcycle. With Simon Pegg already telling fans to ‘Hang in there. Be patient’, the question still remains, will we be getting another Star Trek film or an intergalactic version of Fast and Furious?

Roshni Patel

Eddie the Eagle

Eddie the Eagle is the ultimate underdog story. It’s the ultimate stick-it-to-the-man, best of British story – it’s the Cool Runnings of England. It’s almost too similar to Cool Runnings, since both took place in the Calgary 1988 games. Eddie the Eagle is being produced by Matthew Vaughn, director of Kingsman, and stars Taron Egerton, who starred in it as main character Eggsy, and that alone should mean this is worth a look. Egerton is unrecognizable, which is testament to his ability as an actor. Along with Tim McInnerny of Blackadder, Hugh Jackman, and Christopher Walken this genuinely looks great; like it’ll have its heavy emotional moments and like it’ll be the unbeatable feel good film of the year. It’s a wonder no one made a film out of Eddie before; he is the only athlete to ever receive special mention in the closing ceremony of the Olympics.

Legend of Tarzan

The last good live action Tarzan movie was more than 30 years ago, with Greystoke: Legend of Tarzan, but most people now will probably know the story through Disney’s adaptation of 1999. This particular film has been in production since 2003 from Warner Bros: it’s not Disney. The director, David Yates, is also directing Fantastic Beasts, and I wouldn’t mind if this film suffered to make that one better. This looks so generic that with a little editing, it could become a trailer for King Kong. That said, they’re not afraid of the Tarzan legacy; the ‘He’s Tarzan, you’re Jane,’ echoing the cringe inducing classic ‘Me Tarzan, you Jane,’ – the Weissmüller yell even makes it in faintly. While Alexander Skarsgård may not be quite a household name, Margot Robbie, Christoph Waltz and Samuel L. Jackson certainly are. Will this be winning Oscars? Probably not. Will it be enjoyable? If it’s as good fun as Greystoke was, then sure, why not.

Both James Moore