The Cadbury Research Library is digitising the University of Birmingham’s archive of First World War photographs to mark the centenary of the war. Photographs feature scenes of the University throughout the conflict, including of the Great Hall being used as a hospital. The images date from September 1916, when the first set of casualties arrived […]

Education Correspondent. 3rd year History student. Interests: History, Politics, Journalism.
Images by Charlotte Wilson

The Cadbury Research Library is digitising the University of Birmingham’s archive of First World War photographs to mark the centenary of the war.

'These photographs will be added to the existing 4,000 digitised YMCA images'

Photographs feature scenes of the University throughout the conflict, including of the Great Hall being used as a hospital. The images date from September 1916, when the first set of casualties arrived in Birmingham to be treated.

Others include journals of war veterans lost in combat overseas. These photographs will be added to the existing 4,000 digitised YMCA images. Activist Mark Eccleston said that this is an ‘opportunity to reflect on past events’.

By digitising the photos, they will become more accessible to researchers across the globe. As the University of Birmingham has one of the largest war studies departments in the country, the images will also be of interest to other students and professors within the university.

Second year History student, Kym Rothery, says that ‘these photographs will be really useful for my dissertation research. Being able to access new material such as that will help me in my studies. Having so much archival material on such a key historical event will prove massively beneficial for future studies’.

Susan Worrall, director of the Cadbury Library, informed the BBC that people still bring archival material to the research centre. Here, it can be made available for all those interested in research. It is also kept preserved well within the collection.

Although plans are currently unconfirmed, there are talks of planning exhibitions to display the images and material.

Images will be found on the Cadbury Research Library website. It is intended that the photographs will be put onto Flickr at some point in the near future.

The Cadbury Research Library can be found in the Muirhead Tower