The University of Birmingham is to collaborate with UK Parliament to run a unique Parliamentary Module for the 2019/20 academic year. This makes UoB one of only 24 universities selected to run this programme

Written by Florence Jones
Images by Marcin Nowak

The module will run from the department of Political Science and International Studies (POLSIS), although it will also be available to students from various disciplines.

The Parliamentary Studies Module has been running at a number of UK universities in collaboration with UK parliament since 2013/14. The contracts of these universities will expire this summer, meaning a new selection of universities has been made to offer this course. UoB, alongside 23 other institutions, was selected by a panel made up of staff from the Houses of Parliament and representatives from the higher education sector.

The module will be convened by Dr Stephen Bates, Senior Lecturer in Political Science. Of the module he said: ‘We are very pleased to be able to offer one of these prestigious modules at Birmingham. We have assembled a great team from across the Department of Political Science and International Studies and the Institute of Local Government to teach the module.’

Dr Bates described our current political climate as a ‘crucial time in our parliamentary democracy,’ and therefore the perfect time to offer this module.

By taking this module, students will gain detailed insight into the workings of the UK Parliamentary system. Topics covered will include: The structure of Parliament, legislative process, the role of select committees, MPs and Members of the House of Lords as well as the ways in which UK parliament interacts with other international parliaments.

The Speaker of the House of Commons, Rt Hon John Bercow MP, commented on the module saying: ‘Our Parliamentary Studies module brings the procedures of the House of Commons and the House of Lords to life, providing a wonderful compliment to on-campus teaching with a range of resources and services aimed at engaging students and university staff.’