Life&Style Writer Alys Lloyd discusses the rise in sustainable beauty packaging and the importance of brands committing to the environmental cause

English and History Student

The concept of sustainability is definitely growing in our society, with an increasing proportion of individuals actively seeking positive environmental change. Sustainability is defined as the practice of using natural resources responsibly, with this subsequently enabling us to support both present and future generations. It’s fair to say that over the past few years noticeable change has been occurring relating to sustainability. One particular area of focus centres on our unhealthy use and disposal of plastic. In 2018, the National Geographic reported that 18 billion pounds of plastic waste flows into the oceans every year from coastal regions. With such shocking information circulating the public domain, industries are beginning to take action to combat our reckless use of non-reusable materials.

In recent years, companies are attempting to adapt their products in order to have a more positive impact on our current ecosystem

The beauty industry stands as an example of a commerce that is actively seeking change relating to sustainable packaging. A huge variety of beauty companies are now placing emphasis on sustainability within their products in order to combat the growing issue of plastic pollution. Single-use plastic has been commonplace within the beauty industry, with unsustainable beauty packaging having a huge impact on the environment. However, in recent years, companies are attempting to adapt their products in order to have a more positive impact on our current ecosystem.

Recently, the Body Shop revamped one of its existing stores on Bond Street to showcase how the company plans to adapt its products to become more sustainable. The shop featured a refill station where customers could bring their empty bottles and restock on their favourite products. The store also included a water station for customers to refill their water bottles and featured upcycled furniture. Managing director Linda Campbell viewed the trial store as a means of reconnecting with the Body Shop’s late founder, Anita Roddick, who set up the company in 1976 with the aim of creating a cosmetic business with positive ethical values.

Brands such as the Body Shop should be commended for setting an example to other brands, showcasing just how easy it is to change the way we approach beauty packaging

Alongside their trial store, the Body Shop also introduced a packaging return scheme in partnership with Terracycle. For a limited time, customers could receive a five pound gift voucher for simply bringing five empty bottle/containers back to selected stores. Although customers will no longer receive a voucher, the Body Shop are still running their recycling scheme so there really is no excuse not to utilise this opportunity.

The Body Shop aren’t the only brand adapting their products. Other companies are also changing their packaging in response to the growing public demand for sustainable beauty. For example, Olay’s much-loved Rengenerist Whip moisturiser can now be bought as a refill, meaning customers only have to buy the jar once. Moreover, companies such as L’Occitane and Rituals are also offering refillable packaging meaning product waste is reduced substantially. In 2017, L’Occitane’s Eco-Refill packaging saved 124 tonnes of material. Companies such as Lush also offer new innovative products, such as their solid shampoo and conditioner bars which can be purchased with or without a reusable metal container.

With sustainability increasingly becoming a fundamental part of our daily lives, it is reassuring to see so many beauty brands adapting the industry in order to make a positive impact. However, whilst changes are most certainly being made, so much more can and needs to be done in order to create lasting impact. Brands such as the Body Shop should be commended for setting an example to other brands, showcasing just how easy it is to change the way we approach beauty packaging.