News Reporter Michael Trotter Comas looks at the provision of free school meal vouchers in the Birmingham area

Images by Mario Gogh

Last week, following the blocked Labour motion, Birmingham City Council promised free half-term Meal Vouchers to all children relying on free school meals during term time. Three days into half-term though, families still had not received their vouchers. 

When asked about this, Councillor Ian Ward stated: ‘The reason we couldn’t get them out in advance was because the government was too late in the day in announcing they weren’t going to provide support for half-term free school meals.’

Councillor Ward later assured that ‘no one will be financially disadvantaged by this’ as vouchers will be distributed throughout the next ‘couple of weeks.’

no one will be financially disadvantaged by this

‘The parents will have a voucher they can use next week or the week after. They might have spent money this week, but they will not have to spend money once they get the voucher.’ 

The estimated number of Birmingham children in need of free school meals now stands closer to 80,000 according to Cllr Ward. The alarming 31% increase from the 61,000 children in need at the start of the first lockdown reflects the growing number of families struggling to make ends meet. In spite of that, two Birmingham MPs still voted against Labour’s motion.

In the wake of the Rashford-backed motion, Conservative MP for Northfield, Gary Sambrook tweeted: ‘Apparently if you disagree that vouchers is the only way to solve poverty this is what happens,’ referring to a picture of a graffitied wall spelling out ‘Gary Sambrook gets big dinners,’ and a few feet away, ‘scum.’

we are urging the government to put a plan in place for Christmas

Yet, Birmingham’s social mobilisation goes much further than vandalism, as thousands have followed the #ENDCHILDPOVERTY movement and actively helped their community. Charities and restaurants alike have opened their doors to those in need, offering free meals and doing what the government would not. Labour MP Liam Byrne did not let the Conservative decision stop him, and teamed up with the Birmingham Slow Food initiative, providing Hodge Hill with a carload of food for families in need. 

Monday 2nd November will mark the end of half-term as children go back to school and with that, the return of free school meals. Although, the problem is far from over. Birmingham City Council are already looking ahead with Councillor Ward stating: ‘We are now wanting, in fact, we are urging the government to put a plan in place for Christmas. We can’t have a repeat of this.’

Liked this article? Here are some more from News:

Durham University Faces Allegations over Prejudice Towards Northern Students

Study Reveals Adverse Effects of Lockdown on Mental Health

UoB Academic Given Portion of £50,000 Research Grant for COVID-19 Study