TV Editor Kylie Clarke celebrates a heartwarming and emotional goodbye to the characters of Sex Education, in spite of some unrealistic plots and dialogue

TV Editor. MA Language, Culture and Communication.

As is the way of life, all good things must come to an end. Netflix’s raunchy comedy drama series, Sex Education, is no exception to this rule, as the recent release of season four marks a bittersweet farewell to Otis Milburn (Asa Butterfield) and his fellow residents of Moordale. Reactions to this final season have been a mixed bag, to say the least. For a variety of reasons, I share the opinion of some viewers that this season is the most cringeworthy yet (and not necessarily in a fun way). Despite this, I found the finale to be a thoroughly enjoyable watch and a satisfying goodbye to characters that I have loved for years. Warning – major spoilers ahead. 

The plot of the final season sees our familiar characters, such as Otis, his eccentric best friend Eric (Ncuti Gatwa) and his ex, popular girl Ruby (Mimi Keene) taken from Moordale Secondary and placed in the unfamiliar Cavendish College. Cavendish is a far cry from the school the characters are used to, priding itself on being a progressive institution, where every student is accepted and celebrated. For characters like Eric, this place is a dream. For others like Ruby, a place like this where the social hierarchy is seemingly flipped, it is a veritable nightmare.

While the new characters were fine, they lacked any real likeability or substance

This aspect of the setting, as well as the new characters it introduces to us, notably ‘The Coven’, the popular group at the college, are the source of much of this season’s intense cringe-worthiness. There seems to be a recent trend amongst shows aimed towards teens attempting to imitate the way that people belonging to ‘Gen Z’ interact. These attempts are rarely successful and usually result in an unrealistic and uncomfortable script. The Coven’s excessive talk of tinder, zodiac signs and the ‘gossip jar’ made me physically recoil at times. While the new characters were fine, they lacked any real likeability or substance and took too much attention away from pre-established characters. I would have preferred to see more from characters such as Jackson (Kedar Williams Stirling), whose storylines this season felt a little lack luckster, and despite having interesting concepts, would have benefited from more screen time. 

However, the season did redeem itself in the storylines given to other main characters, including beloved fan favourites Adam (Connor Swindells) and Aimee (Aimee Lou Wood). Having started as a truly hateable character at the beginning of the show, Adam’s character arc has undoubtedly been the greatest of all. The character has been shown working through his struggle with his sexuality and becoming a much better person as the show has developed, and in this season we get to enjoy seeing the character really come into his own. 

Fans have frustratedly watched these two protagonists miscommunicate, avoid their feelings, fall out and make up over the span of four seasons

For Aimee, a character who has been adored from the beginning, her growth this season came from working through the trauma she experiences from being assaulted. Her personal development is realised in a highly empowering scene during which we see her burn the pair of jeans she was wearing during her assault. The cinematography of this scene, showing as Aimee dances around the flames, combines with Aimee Lou Wood’s incredibly emotive performance to create a beautiful and therapeutic moment. Both Adam and Aimee are just two of my favourite examples of main characters who were given a well-rounded and emotional goodbye. 

It is time for me to address the most anticipated storyline of this season: Maeve (Emma Mackey) and Otis (Asa Butterfield). Fans have frustratedly watched these two protagonists miscommunicate, avoid their feelings, fall out and make up over the span of four seasons with the same question on everybody’s mind: will they, or won’t they? Well, in a decision which has left many viewers shouting at their screens (except maybe the large community of Ruby/Otis shippers), the show’s creators gave an answer: they won’t – at least for now. 

Despite its flaws, for me this season carried the same mix of light comedy and strong emotional impact that the show has held from its beginning

This season, Maeve comes back from America due to her mother’s death, a heart wrenching storyline which sees her fellow students and teachers rally around her, with a particular highlight being the bond shown between Maeve and Aimee (female friendship will forever remain my favourite trope). Maeve and Otis are reunited but she then changes her mind and decides to return to America to pursue her dream of being a writer. While this ending is very bittersweet, I think it was the best possible ending for the pair. It symbolises their need to move on and particularly for Maeve, the need to finally put herself first after all the hardships she has faced. 

Despite its flaws, for me this season carried the same mix of light comedy and strong emotional impact that the show has held from its beginning. While it may have been a source of disappointment for some viewers, this season of Sex Education certainly did not disappoint me and symbolised a poignant and necessary growth for characters and viewers alike. If you can make it past some moments of cringe, you will find that the heart of the show remains the same in its final season, and secures its place as one of my most-loved shows, one that I will sorely miss. 

Read more reviews from Redbrick TV here:

Review: Strictly Come Dancing 2023

Review: It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Review: Loki Season Two