Travel Writer Hannah Lay shares her favourite places to spend a wintery weekend in Europe

Written by Hannah Lay
Online Comment Editor and Final Year Politics Student.
Images by Hannah Lay

Reading Week will soon be upon us and it is the perfect time to explore Europe. I have been lucky to visit what I consider to be some of Europe’s most beautiful cities, and these two destinations that should be at the top of your winter travel wish-list.

Prague

Prague has become a cult favourite for young travellers during the summer months; it is easily accessible and boasts warm average temperatures. However, I think the charm of Prague extends well beyond the summer heat. Before I went to Prague, I had read that it is renowned for cheap beer and I was definitely not disappointed! This is unsurprising considering the country’s reputation as the biggest beer drinkers. Prague hosts numerous independent breweries and restaurants which offer a wealth of options if you fancy trying some of the local flavours.

Food in Prague is also great, with a sit-down meal in a restaurant costing less than £10 on average and the Czech staple of meat, sauce and dumplings providing warmth in the cold city temperatures. I cannot write about Prague without mentioning Trdelnik. Trdelnik are spiral doughnut cones filled with soft serve ice cream. They’re originally from Hungary but can be found sold by street vendors across Prague. They are delicious and given their strong presence across the city I felt it would have been criminal to leave without having one!

As well as food, Prague boasts a whole host of activities. Charles Bridge and Prague Castle are two must-see sights of the city and neither disappoint. The bridge can get extremely busy with tourists, but it is still well worth walking along. There are metro stations near to the Prague Castle, but we walked up from Charles Bridge which I recommend because it allows you to take in more of the city. Also, the castle is set on a hill so once we reached the top, we were greeted with amazing views over the city. A huge positive is the castle offers student discount on admission, making it easily affordable.

Although the big sites are very impressive, the random streets are the most charming. Colourful baroque buildings line the streets; you cannot help but be in awe of the city’s beauty. The air of winter makes this even more atmospheric with the colourful buildings breaking through the darker weather. My advice is to keep looking up – the buildings are intricate all the way from the ground to the top and you will miss out if you don’t!

Alongside good food, drink and attractions, Prague plays host to numerous museums. I really recommend the Museum of Communism. A communist museum may sound a bit heavy, but it is actually incredibly captivating and educational. Prague was heavily influenced by communist rule and what I learnt at the museum made me appreciate the city in a whole new light.

Vienna

Bordering the Czech Republic is Austria, another central European country with an array of lovely cities. Vienna, the country’s capital is charming and a true winter gem. It gets quite chilly during the winter months, but wrap up warm and you will be able to appreciate the vast amount Vienna has to offer. Like Prague, Vienna’s beauty stems from its architecture. The city is home to St Stephen’s Cathedral, a magnificent gothic cathedral located in the heart of Vienna. The numerous imperial palaces and grand buildings are also extremely impressive and show elements of the city’s rich cultural history.

As well as beautiful buildings, Vienna is the ideal city for fine art and classical music enthusiasts. The city has a musical legacy shaped by the likes of Mozart and Beethoven, and there are numerous concerts on each evening across Vienna playing classic pieces from such composers.

As well as music, Vienna has been shaped by an array of artists. A museum I would thoroughly recommend is the Belvedere Palace. The palace hosts the world’s largest Gustav Klimt collection and a large array of Austrian art from the Middle Ages right up to present day. The museum offers discounted admission for students and it would be easy to spend a whole day here if you have ample time. Even if art is not your thing, the palace itself is well worth a visit; it is a spectacular building set in expansive grounds. It also boasts stunning views of the city below.

If you want something slightly more exciting than high culture, Wiener Riesenrad is for you. It is a giant ferris wheel dating back to 1897 that has become an integral part of the Viennese sky line. The wheel is located within a fairground that comprises other rides and food stalls. The park itself is free to enter, you just have to pay to go on the individual rides. Whilst it may not scream Vienna, the wheel is a bit of a tourist staple for those visiting the area.

Finally, I cannot recommend a place without mentioning food. Vienna is the birthplace of the ‘Sacher Torte’. A Sacher Torte is a dense chocolate cake with a thin layer of apricot jam on top, covered in a glossy chocolate icing. Some may remember seeing this cake in a technical challenge on Great British Bake Off. As a huge fan of Bake Off and chocolate cake I knew I had to try it. It did not disappoint and, being a Viennese staple, you will not struggle to find a café serving it.

Travelling in winter can be ideal – it is not peak season in many cities, so travel and accommodation is significantly cheaper, and destinations are often less crowded making for a more pleasant experience. Prague and Vienna are amazing cities so don’t be put off by the colder temperatures. Both cities have plenty to do to shelter from the cold – just make sure to plan accordingly!