Digital Editor Halima Ahad shares Birmingham’s best surrounding areas, praising the overall focus on independent businesses and unique fun activities

third year eng & creative writing, aspiring journalist, former culture editor and current digital editor <3

Birmingham boasts an array of small towns in its cities, with an abundance of things to see, eat and do. As a commuter student myself, these are definitely worth visiting  as they provide a fun day out for families and friends alike. Here, I’ll give you a quick guide on those small towns that I find stand out in the city centre and make Birmingham what it truly is, a multicultural city with lots to see and do.

Birmingham boasts an array of small towns in its cities, with an abundance of things to see, eat and do

Solihull

Deemed as a ‘high quality shopping, leisure and business destination’ by Visit Solihull, Solihull is a small town located half an hour away from the city centre. With lots of things to do in the town, as well as beautiful walking destinations nearby, it can be hard not to fall in love with the Solihull borough. One of my favourite things about Solihull town centre is its array of shops and restaurants, in Touchwood Shopping Centre and Mell Square, you’ll definitely not leave disappointed.

As well as this, at the heart of the town centre is its very own library and theatre, The Core. Solihull town centre is for all ages, as there are a range of activities for them. If you fancy seeing a movie, you can go to the cinema or if you fancy shopping you can shop ‘till you drop at Touchwood. The town is always a go to for me and my family and I hope it gets recognised for its independence and beauty.

Moseley

Moseley Village is located half an hour away from the city centre and is a cosmopolitan suburb which prides itself upon its restaurants and independent shops and boutiques. One thing I love about the suburb is its promotion of independent businesses which is evidently seen at the Moseley Farmers Market. The Farmers Market is held on the last Saturday of each month where stallholders sell numerous things, namely fresh produce, handmade crafts and delicious treats.

One thing I love about the suburb is its promotion of independent businesses

Kings Heath

Known for its High Street, Kings Heath is a vibrant area with a lively atmosphere. The area boasts numerous independent shops and restaurants in which visitors can participate in an array of activities. One thing which I love about the area, which is on my list of places to visit, is The Heath Bookshop. The independent bookstore and café prides itself upon its many titles available as well as having a lovely community feel. The bookstore holds monthly author talks, bringing readers to the heart of its store. I hope to visit the store soon as it looks stunning and has a very cosy feel to it.

It was amazing to discover this independent arcade hidden away within the Custard Factory

Digbeth

Just outside of the city centre is the energetic area of Digbeth. Digbeth is a wonderful place to be. I recently went to NQ64 with a group of friends and it was amazing to discover this independent arcade hidden away within the Custard Factory. The arcade boasted an array of old school and modern games, such as Pac-Man Battle Royale which put a spin on the well-known game of Pac Man. I loved the overall feel of the bar arcade as well with the tokens on the barside keeping to the overall branding of the place.

I hope this guide provided a well-rounded view of Birmingham and how there is much more to the city beside its centre. I have loved visiting some of these places and I hope to go to some of them again soon.

Read more from Travel here:

Birmingham’s Arcade Bars: A Guidebook to Gaming

Redbrick Gaming x Redbrick Travel: NQ64

48 Hours In…Edinburgh