‘Super Sunset’ is a joyous new record from Los Angeles local Allie X that is worth checking out, Redbrick Music Writer Francesca Benson reviews

Science and Technology Editor, final year Biochemistry MSci student twitter.com/chessbenson

Earning acclaim with single ‘Catch’ in 2014, Allie X has become an innovative voice in pop. Putting on a stellar performance at Birmingham Pride 2018 and appearing on stage alongside artists such as Hayley Kiyoko, she marries a distinctive dark and theatrical flair with a penchant for penning pop bangers.

Her sophomore album, Super Sunset, is a bite sized production at 6 full songs, an intro, and an interlude, however, put together they form a cohesive work with a clear concept in mind. Inspired by Canadian-born Allie X’s experiences living in Los Angeles, the sound of the album toes the line between 80s nostalgia and polished electro pop. Her lyrics are wry and heartfelt, and allow her spectacular vocal talent to shine through.

Inspired by Canadian-born Allie X’s experiences living in Los Angeles, the sound of the album toes the line between 80s nostalgia and polished electro pop

‘Girl of the Year’ is arguably the standout track on Super Sunset. Upbeat and catchy production is juxtaposed with fatalistic lyrics about being viewed as simply temporary by a partner she has worked hard to be with. High-pitched vocals in the bridge almost seem to parody the ‘Somebody younger, with longer hair’ Allie anticipates being replaced by.

Super Sunset opens and closes with more laid-back tracks, ‘Not so Bad in La’ and ‘Focus’ respectively. The former is a sarcastic ode to and critique of the Hollywood lifestyle, with a sound that is less retro and more contemporary than other songs on the album. It is mirrored in sentiment by the desperate and glittering penultimate track ‘Can’t Stop Now’. ‘Focus’ was the first single to be released off the album. It is an apocalypse themed love song that starts off minimalist over a heartbeat-like beat and – ironically- risks sounding unfocused. However, the song reaches its stride as it slowly builds to an emotional crescendo. A punchy anthem to grating everyday inconveniences and insecurities, the explosive belting end to ‘Little things’ makes it instantly memorable. ‘Little things’ is followed by ‘Science’, which is smooth and synth-heavy, managing to epitomise the dreamy 80s pop vibe of Super Sunset.

‘Super Sunset’ is available now via Twin Music Inc.