Food & Drink Writer Alice Tilley reviews the new award-winning vegan restaurant BA-HA, located within The Rainbow Pub in Digbeth.

Written by Alice Tilley
Images by Alice Tilley

BA-HA is a restaurant operating within The Rainbow Pub Digbeth, offering vegan and plant-based small plate meals and brunch. Born in 2018, BA-HA offers award-winning food in a relaxed, lively atmosphere, and pride themselves on sourcing humane food which changes with the seasons. The independent restaurant came tenth in Trip Advisor’s “Best UK vegan spots” category, and Owners Frankie Heekin and Becky Powell aim to provide delicious food which caters to vegans but pleases everyone. It is the perfect place for anyone with allergies, providing an allergen chart on their website and maintaining strict kitchen allergen controls.

‘’A cosy ambience that blends rustic charm with a contemporary flair…”

The Rainbow Pub has a cosy ambience that blends rustic charm with a contemporary flair. The atmosphere is both buzzing and intimate, perfect for a casual meal, lively gathering or bottomless brunch with friends. The pub provides an impressive range of cocktails, beer, and ciders as well as non-alcoholic soft drinks and mocktails. They also serve food at the Cuban Embassy in Moseley, where they offer an alternative menu. 

Alice Tilley

“Pleasantly surprised by the banana blossom, which is a fleshy, purple-skinned flower…”

At The Rainbow Pub I opted for the Bish and Chips which was a vegan alternative to the British classic fish and chips – beer battered blossom, served with a generous portion of sea salted chips along with sides of mushy peas and curry sauce. This was my first time trying vegan fish and I was pleasantly surprised by the banana blossom, which is a fleshy, purple-skinned flower. Its flaky and soft texture perfectly imitated fish. The fish portion was on the smaller side for £15 but nonetheless, I was impressed. It was presented with care and tasted delicious. Their ‘Bish it’s Friday’ deal would be the perfect opportunity to indulge in Bish and Chips for two for £20.

“Pride themselves on sourcing humane food which changes with the seasons…”

I also decided to get a Virgin Passion Fruit Mojito, priced at £6.95, which is a refreshing drink with vibrant flavours. Infused with the tanginess of passion fruit and the crisp freshness of mint, the concoction offered a great alternative to traditional cocktails. The alcoholic cocktails also looked great, and there is something for everyone from their vast selection of both classic and sweet shop cocktails. The alcoholic cocktails are priced between £7.95 and £9.95, a competitive price which remains reasonable for students when celebrating special occasions.

Alice Tilley

While BA-HA’s food offerings may not be the most budget-friendly for students, the prices reflect the quality and creativity of the cuisine, and the experience and atmosphere make it worth the price. I would recommend taking advantage of BA-HA’s many offers which make their dining experience more budget-friendly, from the 2 for £20 Tuesday deal which offers two burgers and fries for £20, to the indulgent Wing Wednesday deal which features 20 vegan wings with an assortment of dips and flavours. Many have also hyped the Sunday roast, which appears hearty and generously portioned. The warm atmosphere at The Rainbow Pub Digbeth ensures that there is always a reason to return for more of the BA-HA cuisine.

BA-HA offers those favouring the plant-based or vegetarian diet an array of options without breaking the bank, and is a great option for both vegans and meat-eaters alike.

Read more Food & Drink articles here:

Review: The Highs and Lows of Percy Pig Confectionary

Easy Halal Guide

Review: Umami World Kitchen