Music Editor Aimee Sargeant reviews the re-release of Inside In / Inside Out by the Kooks, one of the most iconic pop-punk albums released in the 00s

Written by Aimee Sargeant
Second-year Music Editor

To celebrate the 15th anniversary in 2021, indie icons The Kooks reissued their debut album Inside In / Inside Out. One of the most iconic pop-punk albums released in the 00s. Released on the 27th of August, this edition featured the original album with remasters of well-known tracks such as ‘She Moves In Her Own Way’ and ‘Naïve’. This special edition also features fourteen unreleased tracks.

As someone who grew up with the evolution of indie music, The Kooks have been a constant. Some songs from Inside In / Inside Out such as ‘Naïve’ and ‘She Moves In Her Own Way’ are well-known, even if you do not particularly know the band. They were often used within coming-of-age movies, and they became staple tracks to 00s/10s teenagers.

They became staple tracks to 00s/10s teenagers

The album known for its pop-punk and Britpop rhythms has been reinvigorated for a newer audience by the re-release as a double LP. Re-releasing the album as an LP is a fantastic way to bring back the album, since LPs are on the increase of becoming more popular. I was lucky enough to be sent the 2LP black vinyl with a 12-page booklet, although there is a limited edition 2LP red vinyl available as well. Within this re-release there are exclusive anniversary sleeve notes from Niall Doherty and new images of the band that have been released. These additional extras that have been released with the LP give fans something new to take a look at.

The Kooks repackaging is for old and new fans alike. Inside In / Inside Out has been a classic of British music since its release in 2006, inspiring other indie bands for years after. Some of the unheard demos that are included on this release are ‘Inaudible Melodies’, ‘Theory Of A Pop Star’, ‘Sofa Song’ and ‘Matchbox’. All which continue to capture the Kooks indie, youthful sound. With uplifting, quirky guitar riffs, these songs truly encompass the traditional sound of The Kooks that we all have heard before. It creates a sense of nostalgia for the 00s, when the indie scene was truly around.

It creates a sense of nostalgia for the 00s, when the indie scene was truly around

The reissue contains four alternate versions of ‘Seaside’, ‘Ooh La’, ‘She Moves In Her Own Way’ and ‘Naïve’. ‘Naïve’ is still probably one of the most iconic singles released by any British band, it has amassed over 1.3 billion streams on Spotify. The alternate version of ‘Naïve’ still has the catchiness that the original has, something that could never be lost in years to come. As said in the literature that came with the LP, Inside In / Inside Out ‘perfectly captured the petulant urgency of adolescence.’

As well as the re-release of the album, The Kooks will be performing Inside In / Inside Out in its entirety on tour. The tour, taking place from January 2022 onwards, will travel around the UK, allowing fans to re-experience The Kooks brilliance of live performance.

Inside In / Inside Out is available now via Virgin Records/UMC. 

________________________________________________________________________________________________

You Might Also Like: 

Album Review: The Killers – Pressure Machine

Album Review: Bleachers – Take the Sadness Out of Saturday Night

Single Review: Royal Blood – Sad But True