Digital Editor Halima Ahad discusses self-help author Vex King and his inspirational take on self-image, self-love and self-esteem

third year eng & creative writing, aspiring journalist, former culture editor and current digital editor <3
Images by Waterstones

Vex King is a writer who explores many different concepts regarding the spiritual self, such as self love and manifestation. I recently got round to picking up his well-known self-help book Good Vibes, Good Life and his writing is absolutely amazing. King gets down to the raw, vulnerable emotions of the reader and makes them think about what truly matters when thinking of themselves individually.

There is a common theme throughout all of King’s self-help books; Good Vibes, Good Life, Healing is the New High and the final in the collection, which is due to come out in April this year, Things No One Taught Us About Love. The books explore self-love and manifestation in many ways, such as through inspirational quotes and little doodles to go along with them. The book is engaging in so many ways and I couldn’t recommend it enough as it truly brings out the ‘good vibes’ you need in your life.

There are three main lessons that can be learnt throughout the book; you must master your emotions first before tackling the law of attraction, boundaries are necessary when taking control of the things in your life and you either plant good or bad seeds in your life subconsciously.

King shows that it’s okay, possibly even better, to be yourself

I have two favourite quotes throughout Good Vibes, Good Life. The first is ‘Sometimes you have to unplug yourself from the world for a moment, so you can reset yourself’ with a corresponding doodle of a person facing the Earth and unplugged from it. I think the quote is so important, especially in this day and age with the constant use of social media by everyone. Everything is so hectic within this, new trends come and go and you have to be a certain way to be deemed ‘perfect’.

King shows that it’s okay, possibly even better, to be yourself when tackling this. Certain expectations from others shouldn’t define how you truly feel about yourself. This brings me onto my second favourite quote from the book.

‘The size of your jeans doesn’t define you. The colour and shade of your skin doesn’t define you. The number on the scales doesn’t define you.’ When I first read the first half of this quote, it completely broke my heart because it’s so true. Young women especially force certain expectations on themselves because social media shows such a perfect, fake image of other young women upon them. King reminds readers that no matter what, they are perfect as they are.

Completely broke my heart

The second half of the quote solidifies King’s notions further ‘Those marks on your face don’t define you. Those expectations don’t define you. Those opinions don’t define you.’ Social media has really ruined the perception of life for majority of young adults, I can admit myself that I have felt that way as well.

I’m really excited to carry on the next two books in King’s collection of easy to read self-help books. Healing is the New High already sounds so beneficial from the title as King shows that it’s okay to carry on healing and growing as everyone is on their own journey towards self-love. I’m anticipating the final release in the collection, Things No One Taught Us About Love, which is due to come out on 25th April.

Enjoyed this? Read more from Redbrick Culture here!

Ballet Review: The Sleeping Beauty

Theatre Review: A Midsummer Night’s Dream

Book Review: Jaded by Ela Lee