Music Critic Ellie Harris reviews Youtuber James Marriott’s successful debut EP which showcases his appealing indie pop-rock style

Music Editor and third year English and Creative Writing student

With the release of his debut EP, No Left Brain, James Marriott becomes the latest YouTuber to turn from content creation to music production. Following in the footsteps of YouTube giants such as Troye Sivan and KSI, who created successful music careers off the back of their online fame, Marriott may also have what it takes to make it big. His indie pop sound has a wide appeal, with just enough experimentation to stand out from the crowd – a promising start to a potential music career.

the EP demonstrates a marked improvement in the production and mixing of songs, allowing for a smoother listening experience

No Left Brain is comprised of just three songs, giving us only a small taste of what Marriott is capable of. Following on from his 2020 debut single, ‘Slow Down’, the EP demonstrates a marked improvement in the production and mixing of songs, allowing for a smoother listening experience. There are still some small inconsistencies – at times Marriott’s voice doesn’t feel integrated with the instrumental backing, which can be jarring – but overall No Left Brain feels more professional and of a higher quality than ‘Slow Down’.

‘Him’ is the first song on the EP and the only one to be released as a single. Beginning with a strong bassline and catchy drumming, before transitioning into an electric guitar melody, the track starts as it means to go on, as a catchy, upbeat pop-rock song. The minimal instruments during the verses allow Marriott’s vocals to stand out, introducing an element of melancholy to the track, which works nicely alongside the more energetic and heavier chorus. The constant volume changes and instrument addition adds a more polished feel to the song, as well as ensuring it does not become repetitive, while the outro allows the introduction of a slower, reflective element, which works well with the song’s themes of rejection and heartbreak. Though there’s nothing particularly revolutionary about ‘Him’, it’s done well and sure to please fans of indie pop-rock.

Marriott’s vocals are more impressive in this track, becoming more melodic to fit in with the piano and not competing with loud instrumental backing

‘New Face’ is much slower than ‘Him’ and leans into an acoustic, piano sound. Marriott’s vocals are more impressive in this track, becoming more melodic to fit in with the piano and not competing with loud instrumental backing. The percussion backing is a little disconcerting, with a more electronic, distorted sound, though this helps to convey the anger and resentment shown in some of the lyrics, such as the refrain ‘If it feels like I’ve changed / Well I hope that I have / Wouldn’t do it for you.’ The song crescendos, becoming heavier towards the end, with the backing becoming louder and more aggressive. Personally, I feel as if this disrupts the building emotion of the track, although it does create a more varied sound, preferring when ‘New Face’ returns to the quieter piano for the outro.

The final track of the EP, ‘Calling’, has a great indie pop vibe, with an upbeat electric guitar riff and simple rhythm drums. It is the kind of song that would fit well on a summer playlist, with an excellent guitar solo and solid vocals throughout. The tune is quite catchy, but my one criticism is that sometimes the instrumentals and vocals sound tonally different, which provides a strange contrast. This is most obvious during the chorus, where the backing music is positive and upbeat, whereas Marriott sounds quite deflated and, at times, miserable. Apart from this, I enjoyed the track, which provides a good ending to the EP.

Overall, No Left Brain is clearly a debut work, with definite room for improvement. However, it is still an enjoyable listen and promises better things to come from the Youtuber turned musician.

No Left Brain is available now via James Marriott

__________________________________________________________________________________________   You Might Also Like:

Album Review: Pale Waves – Who Am I?

Bands to Watch Out For in 2021

Single Review: Lana Del Rey – Chemtrails Over The Country Club

Single Review: Hunter Hayes – The One That Got Away