After a dominant display over Derek Chisora, Tyson Fury now turns his attention to becoming the undisputed heavyweight champion.

Hi! I'm Will. I'm a fourth year history of warfare student at the University of Birmingham. My main hobbies are playing squash and dodgeball and I also enjoy reading about history, geography and sport.

Tyson Fury showed his class in pummelling Derek Chisora for 10 rounds at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium on Saturday night (3/12), yet now the world’s attention turns to a potential blockbuster clash with Ukrainian superstar Oleksandr Usyk.

The Gypsy King entered the ring knowing he needed a win in his third fight with long-time rival Chisora to secure the mega fights against Usyk and Anthony Joshua in 2023. As always, Fury delivered with his usual display of technical brilliance and elite showmanship, delighting the 60,000 fans in attendance.

Fury delivered with his usual display of technical brilliance and elite showmanship

When Victor Loughlin stepped in towards the end of the tenth round it seemed like a mercy for the bruised and battered Chisora, a warrior to the end, but a man outclassed by the younger, bigger man. Chisora and his team were always going to go out on their shield, but in his forty-sixth professional contest and thirteenth defeat, who knows where he goes from here? However, as one man fell, another rose and the anticipation grew after the fight as Oleksandr Usyk stepped into the ring. The Ukrainian has beaten Chisora himself – albeit less convincingly than Fury – and Anthony Joshua twice, and poses perhaps the greatest technical threat to Fury as the division’s kingpin.

Alongside these two greats another powerhouse tried to get involved. Joe Joyce became the first man to stop Joseph Parker in his last fight as he continued his meteoric rise up the heavyweight scene and now is the mandatory challenger to Usyk’s World Boxing Organisation (WBO) title. Yet, unless Fury’s elbow injury is more serious than first believed, Joyce can wait, because the fight that everyone wants to see is with Usyk.

Unlike many other super fights, it seems like this fight should get over the line fairly easily. Usyk’s team, led by Alexander Krassyuk, have been notoriously easy to work with, meaning that Usyk’s fights have taken him all over Europe. Usyk hasn’t fought in his native Ukraine since 2015 and with the current political situation in the country, it seems unlikely that he’ll be returning home anytime soon.

However, this has seen Usyk become something of a road warrior, defeating the likes of Krzysztof Glowacki, Mairis Briedis, Murat Gassiev and, perhaps most famously of all, Anthony Joshua, in their own backyards.

The financial draws of the Middle East can sometimes be too strong to refuse

Fury has also travelled significantly to get opponents into the ring. Starting with the victory over Wladimir Klitschko that shook up the entire heavyweight scene in 2015, Fury has since travelled to America five times, claiming four victories and a highly controversial draw with Deontay Wilder. With rumours that a Fury-Usyk mega fight may happen in Saudi Arabia, the ease with which their promoters work may prove a key factor in getting this over the line. Whilst this is certainly a fight that UK fight fans would want to see fill a stadium next summer, for these fighters the financial draws of the Middle East can sometimes be too strong to refuse.

After the troubles personally, physically and politically for these two boxing legends, the fans just want to see them get in the ring sooner rather than later to give us the first undisputed heavyweight champion since Lennox Lewis in 1999.

Checkout these latest sports articles here:

English Gymnasts Perform on World Stage | Redbrick Sport

England Miss Out on Rugby World Cup Glory | Redbrick Sport

Aston Villa Women make a flying start to WSL Campaign | Redbrick Sport