Some University of Birmingham students in Selly Oak may still be subject to house viewings, even if the house in question is undergoing self-isolation over COVID-19.

Written by Charlie Young
2nd Year Social Policy | News Writer | University of Birmingham

A student, who had been showing symptoms of COVID-19 for a number of days told Redbrick they had requested their letting agency postpone a planned house viewing due to the residents being under self-isolation. 

The request was reportedly turned down with the estate agent citing the tenancy agreement before asking which room the suspected COVID-19 case resided in, adding that the representative would wear protective clothing, although it was not clear whether the same would apply to prospective tenants.

The student, who wishes to remain anonymous, said that ‘It’s just a huge public health risk, not only are they putting prospective tenants at risk but also anyone who might come into contact with them, who may be immunocompromised.

‘It just shows that they want to put profit before the well-being of their tenants which is hugely disappointing.’

The situation raises concerns over the extent to which some are following current government advice to participate in ‘social distancing’ particularly around high-risk cases.

It just shows that they want to put profit before the well-being of their tenants which is hugely disappointing

Redbrick spoke with several Selly Oak based letting agencies on their viewing policies, with Broad Court Property Management and Easy Lettings both asking tenants to let them know of any cases of self-isolation so that they can halt house viewings and Britannia Property Services complying to guidance set by the Residential Landlords Association which reads ‘Landlords will have properties that are either vacant or with tenancies about to end and looking to re-let. While demand for rental property and requests for viewings are likely to fall, some people will still need to move and will be looking for properties to let.

As a result of government guidelines, tenants expect that landlords would seek to minimise face-to-face contact as much as possible.  Where a property is vacant, consider creating a video walk-round or virtual viewing instead of in-person viewings. 

Such a video may then be used as part of the marketing of the property and falls within consumer protection legislation.  Showing an actual representation of the property, with no false images, and not omitting anything that could be a material consideration for a tenant in deciding to let the property, means landlords cannot simply ignore things like broken fixtures, damp or mould in such videos.  

If landlords wish to persist with in-person viewings, the urge from tenants is that they should be conducted with as few people as possible – only individuals or groups who will be renting together, with open house-style viewings certainly not being held.

Where the property is currently tenanted, the current tenant has the right to refuse access for viewings.  It may be necessary to wait until the property is vacant before allowing viewings in any case, especially where the tenant falls into a higher risk category.  Alternatively, the current tenant may be happy for you to enter the property to make a video for virtual viewings.

Several other Selly Oak letting agencies were approached but have so far been unavailable for comment.