Marketing Secretary and Treasurer Jennifer Prince reviews Stormzy’s Birmingham show, praising both his powerful stage presence and down-to-earth roots

Written by Jennifer Prince

December 2019 saw Stormzy’s second studio album, Heavy Is the Head, drop onto the British music scene. Fast forward two years, a number one album spot, and another poignant Brits performance, and Big Mike’s highly anticipated tour finally reached UK arenas.

Although COVID-19 restrictions held fan’s excitement on pause for over two years, the opening act did not postpone the party for a second longer. The infectious enthusiasm of DJ Rachael Anson and Radio 1Xtra’s Remi Burgz injected the crowd with the ‘ENERGY’ exclaimed by Burgz to hype up the crowd. 90s and 00s R&B dominated the setlist, before the pair closed with some classic Bob Marley and The Wailers. Encouraging the audience to wave their phone lights, a message of unity was eminent and a reminder to all that ‘every little thing gonna be alright’.

There is no doubt that for such a renowned performer, Stormzy’s reputation precedes him

There is no doubt that for such a renowned performer, Stormzy’s reputation precedes him. Following performances at Glastonbury and Leeds festivals to name a few, the concert at Birmingham’s Utilita arena had a high standard to reach, and it did not disappoint.

As the curtain dropped to reveal the stage, strobe lights and sirens made it impossible to be transfixed on anything but the large screen parting like a vault. Elevated on a platform, the opening bars of ‘Big Michael’ thundered through the room, as the man himself was lowered.

A sense of connection was created by the protruding stage, allowing Stormzy to bound forward into the audience space and interact with them at close range. Hence, the three-time Brit award winner needed little accompaniment for most of the setlist. Stating that he would talk less and let the music take over, it was clear that Stormzy’s aim was to focus on the fans, giving them a great evening and a reason to dance. His lyrics matched with the lighting production in particular, served to highlight meaningful lines. Pausing the upbeat tracks and freezing the lighting on specific words created suspense, yet also emphasised the importance of his word craft in shining a light on the Black British experience, too often overlooked.

Most notably, weaving in his debut album Gang Signs and Prayer in between Heavy Is The Head for long-standing fans, the performance of ‘First Things First’ brought silence over the crowd. Rapping under a flickering spotlight with his lyrics enlarged in red behind him, statements about mental health, knife crime, and systemic racism culminated in a strong reminder that the foundation of Stormzy’s music and platform is as a self-proclaimed ‘rebel with a cause.’

Stormzy appeared as a performer that, through his words and actions, still seems almost like an ordinary person

The passion driving the show was all too clear not just in the stripped-back moments, but also when the show became more of a spectacle. Superb backing singers joined the stage for gospel numbers such as ‘Rainfall’ and ‘Blinded by Your Grace’ exuding an overwhelming sense of joy. Not only this, around the halfway point of the performance, the stage emptied, and all eyes were glued to a monochrome video announcing Stormzy’s third album, set to be released later this year.

With the increased level of exhilaration, the ‘Fire in Brum’ turned to the most well-known songs. The scores of fans raised the roof with ‘Big For Your Boots,’ ‘Shut Up,’ and ‘Vossi Bop’ rounding off the show screaming ‘f*ck the government and f*ck Boris.’ Somehow, this enthusiasm seemed to surprise the six-time MOBO award winner. Humbled by the crowd, Stormzy finished by thanking them for their continued support, and for still attending the concert two years later.

Despite his success, and the elaborate stage design crowning him during the title track, Stormzy appeared as a performer that, through his words and actions, still seems almost like an ordinary person. After all, his career took off when he ‘went to the park with my friends and I charted,’ so it was no shock to see him sporting an audience member’s fluffy leopard print bucket hat and his own famous heart shaped sunglasses, looking as if he had come to enjoy watching his own brilliant show.

You Might Also Like:

Redbrick Meets: The Amazons

Artists Cancelling Shows in Russia

Album Review: Feeder – Torpedo