Music Critic Jasmine Narwal reviews Usher’s Super Bowl halftime performance

Written by jasmine
Images by @Usher on Facebook
The Super Bowl half time show has consistently captivated audiences worldwide, with iconic musical figures taking the stage – or rather, the pitch – to deliver unforgettable performances. This has only increased in recent years with past artists including Justin Timberlake, Eminem, Shakira and Jennifer Lopez.
Following last years iconic performance by Rihanna, there was always going to be an increased amount of pressure on her predecessor to top the year before and deliver something truly extraordinary.

Usher’s energy and enthusiasm shone through his dance routines and stage presence.

Usher, a renowned R&B artist with multiple chart-topping hits across the globe, was announced to be the performer of this years half time show in September 2023. The expectations were high, with fans taking to social media to express their excitement and predictions for what promised to be an explosive and nostalgic performance. And whilst elements of this may be true, there were certainly segments that were overly disappointing and lacklustre.
Opening with a grandiose performance featuring acrobats, dancers and showgirls adorned in feathers, Usher’s first song of the night was his 2005 single ‘Caught Up’. This was a bold choice considering this was the least popular amongst all of his tracks that he performed according to the billboard 100 charts. Following this were his hits, ‘U Don’t Have to Call’, ‘Superstar’ and ‘Love in This Club’. Where many expressed disappointment regarding the performance was in regards to the subpar sound quality, with Usher often being drowned out by the musical accompaniment. Despite this, Usher’s energy and enthusiasm shone through his dance routines and stage presence.
Usher then welcomed his first special guest, Alicia Keys, who performed a segment of her hit song ‘If I Ain’t Got You’, later segueing into their duet ‘My Boo’. Their performance sparked online chatter due to its steamy performance. His setlist continued with ‘Confessions Part II’, ‘Nice & Slow’, ‘Burn’ and ‘U Got It Bad’, the latter featuring a shirtless Usher and a guitar solo by his second guest, H.E.R.

Usher charmed the audience with his 2010 hit ‘OMG’, joined by his third guest, will.i.am

Returning to the stage on roller skates, Usher charmed the audience with his 2010 hit ‘OMG’, joined by his third guest, will.i.am, in an exceptional performance that included a full dance routine on skates. Although the transition to ‘Turn Down For What’, not originally an Usher song, may have momentarily confused some, clarity came with the appearance of his next guest Lil John.
The performance then reaches its climax with the introduction of his final guest, Ludacris, for a thrilling rendition of Usher’s iconic track ‘Yeah’, radiating infectious energy, which you couldn’t help but dance to.
However, the performance felt somewhat incomplete, with many viewers left wanting more. Some were also saddened by the lack of certain guest stars who they were hoping would appear on stage along side Usher, most notably Justin Bieber, who was at the event but remained in the crowd.

Overall, it was a fantastic performance delivered by Usher, brimming with energy, the hard work palpable

Overall, it was a fantastic performance delivered by Usher, brimming with energy, the hard work palpable. Nevertheless, there were undeniably elements that required improvement, including the poor audio quality, the lack of staging – with Usher spending a large percentage of his performance on the field, and the argument that the performance only truly hit its stride towards the end.