Food&Drink Writer Lucy Allen reviews Bath Christmas markets, the perfect place to find your festive spirit

3rd Year Biomedical Science student
Images by Guillaume Speurt , Flickr

You will find a whole host of the usual tasty treats

The hustle and bustle of the Birmingham Frankfurt Christmas markets is upon us, where you will find a whole host of the usual tasty treats. If you are looking for a German Bratwurst that is longer than your head, a hot glass of Glühwein, or even an overpriced marshmallow then the Birmingham Christmas Markets are your place! However, if you are looking for an alternative location for Christmas festivities there are many other cities and towns around the country that you could try, like the Bath Christmas Markets. 

The Bath Christmas Markets, unlike Birmingham, are not specifically German, and embrace an overall Christmas atmosphere that is more traditional to the UK. Foods and drinks that you will find will be the classic Somerset spiced cider, toasted spiced nuts (which produce the most amazing sweet scent as you walk through the Abbey courtyard), and arrays of fudge from the local fudge shops dotted around the City. In typical Bath style much of the Christmas Market stalls, which come in the form of many little sheds each decorated individually, are from independent stores that you can find in and around the area. The less commercialised feel to this Christmas Market probably explains the many tourists that come to the area yearly for this special occasion. The Bath markets are the perfect place to find that unique Christmas present or decoration that you are looking for and are unlikely to find elsewhere. 

The mulled wine that they serve is always a winter warmer to recover from the cold

The Bath Christmas Markets are on for much longer this year, but still only for the brief period between the 28th November to the 15th December. This can be the perfect place to visit with your flat or your family and makes for an enjoyable day trip. Whilst you are at it you can also explore some of the Georgian architecture and Roman Baths that the Christmas markets are dotted around. Furthermore, if the markets themselves aren’t your bag, then you can always enjoy the areas of the city that are do not have stalls around or could take a ride on the merry-go-round that is installed on the corner of Stall Street. Alternatively, Bath on Ice is always a fun way to exhaust an hour or two of your day, and the mulled wine that they serve is always a winter warmer to recover from the cold. So if you are looking to get away from the busy streets of Birmingham Christmas Markets, then consider Bath as a smaller and quaint alternative to fulfil your festive needs.