Life and Style Writer, Josie Hart rounds up the 2018 Peta Fashion Awards, praising more mainstream brands than ever before

Written by Josie Hart

Ethical concerns are high on the agenda in the fashion world right now. As consumers become more and more aware of the environmental and ethical concerns that come along with filling our wardrobes, brands must make major changes to meet this demand. From designer brands banning fur to emerging brands coming out with ground breaking new sustainable materials, the shifts towards ethical fashion seem only to be going up and up. In recognition of the strides being made towards ethical fashion, PETA held their own fashion awards once again this year, but recognised more mainstream brands than ever before. The animal rights charity recognised both moments and specific brands that have made decisions in the name of ethics for animals over the year.

ASOS were named the Most Progressive Online Platform by PETA

You’ll be happy to know you can keep that ASOS tab with a full basket for when you fancy a bit of retail therapy open, rest assured that they’re doing their bit in the name of ethical fashion. ASOS were named the Most Progressive Online Platform by PETA. This was awarded due to the announcement of major changes to the site’s animal welfare policy that will come into practice in 2019. As of this year, ASOS will no longer sell products with cashmere, silk, fur, feathers, or mohair. With ASOS being such a dominant player in the market, it is likely that other brands will start taking note, especially off the bat of this special recognition.

The Biggest High Street Fashion Moment was awarded to the ban of mohair from over 300 retailers

The Biggest High Street Fashion Moment was awarded to the ban of mohair from over 300 retailers. This included some classic, favourite, go-tos like H&M, Zara, Mango, and Topshop. The decision to ban mohair was made after a PETA investigation found that the goats providing the material keeping us warm in this awful British weather had been dragged and cut by farmers. Maybe a few more layers is a better option after all.

On the luxury side of things, the ban of fur from significant brands like Burberry and Coach was commended. Whilst in 2017 the only major brand recognised for this was Gucci, it’s hopeful to see that considerations of animal welfare in the luxury fashion world are catching on. Whilst there are still designer brands offering fur products, this award shows that many are listening to customer demands for ethics to be considered.

Could we see a lack of leather at the next LFW? According to PETA, a leather free fashion week is a progressive move that should be passed on to others. Helsinki Fashion week was presented the award for the Most Progressive Fashion Event due to their ban of leather on the runways. Whilst London Spring/Summer will be entirely fur free, banning leather would be a whole new step for the major fashion hub. With brand Alexandra K being awarded for their vegan leather bags, and Dr Martens being awarded for their vegan leather boots, it’s evident that this could be possible for the future.