The University of Birmingham, along with other UK universities, has invested in Israeli companies which violate international law

@AdamToms3

The University of Birmingham is reportedly the seventh-biggest investor, out of a list 151 UK universities, which have invested in Israeli companies complicit with violations of international law.

Certain investments in these companies include Israel Chemicals, reportedly the only providers of white phosphorus for the US army, which then uses the substance to manufacture projectiles for the Israeli army.

UoB has stated in response: ‘Our primary focus when making investments is ensuring that we can continue to invest in high quality teaching, world leading research and the very best facilities for staff and students now and in the future.’

Our primary focus when making investments is ensuring that we can continue to invest in high quality teaching, world leading research and the very best facilities for staff and students now and in the future

They also expect any investment managers working on its behalf to consider ‘an end to international conflict including a prohibition of companies which produce armaments.’

The full report describes how UK universities have invested a total of £450 million in companies implicated in Israeli violations of international law.

These companies have allegedly played a part in the supply of weapons to the Israeli military and the investment in Israel’s illegal settlements – deemed to violate Article 49 of the Fourth Geneva Convention – within what is perceived to be Palestinian territory.

The Universities of Edinburgh and Manchester have also been implicated, the latter having invested in the company Caterpillar, which supplies armoured bulldozers used by the Israelis to demolish Palestinian homes, schools and olive groves.

Overall, out of the 151 universities included within the report, 53 UK universities did not hand over any information. 33 universities replied but do not hold investments in said companies; 44 universities who do hold investments in said companies replied providing full data, and the remaining universities have only provided partial data in response.