UoB to fill environmental commitments through proposed plan to build renewable energy centre, reports Josie Hart

Written by Josie Hart
Images by Redbrick

The University of Birmingham (UoB) has submitted proposals for a new renewable energy centre, the latest step towards filling UoB’s environmental commitments.

The renewable energy centre will be the fourth phase of Tyseley Energy Park’s (TEP) existing investments in renewable energy. These other phases include a zero carbon refuelling centre and a waste facility that will supply energy to the regional grid.

The fourth phase will include a range of cleaner fuels including hydrogen, compressed natural gas, and commercial electric chargers.

TEP is one of the West Midlands Combined Authourity’s four ‘energy innovation zones’, focussed on developing business models and infrastructure for cleaner energy.

The plans set out a provision of 30 jobs and car park spaces to accommodate

Not only is the renewable energy centre environmentally focused, but the plans set out a provision of 30 jobs and car park spaces to accommodate. It also sets out to provide this cleaner energy to businesses in the local area. The promotion of research and development collaboration is also envisaged.

UoB has in the past projected itself as forward-thinking when it comes to making significant strides towards environmental management and sustainability. 

The University have committed themselves to achieving progress within the field of climate research

As a member of ‘Sustainability West Midlands’, the University have committed themselves to achieving progress within the field of climate research and improvement.

The Birmingham Institute of Forest Research (BIFoR), for example, has put UoB on the global stage, with its aim ‘to provide a step-change in our understanding how our forests will respond to future increases in atmospheric carbon dioxide (CO2 ), including effects on forest growth and agricultural pests and diseases.’

This comes just weeks after the announcement of the UoB’s ‘Birmingham In Action’ campaign, its most ambitious charity project yet, encompassing five key challenges including the environment.