As part of an ongoing series about the psychology behind common student experiences, Sci&Tech Editor Sanskriti Shelke explores the effects of alcohol on the brain

Written by Sanskriti Shelke

Alcohol; a coping mechanism for some, an inexhaustible addiction for others and even a ritualistic symbol in some cultures. To anyone who has drunk any sort of alcohol before, it is no secret that it affects one’s brain and body. This article aims to explore the different, both long-term and short-term effects of alcohol on a human brain.

A recent study conducted by researchers from Oxford University shows that long term and heavy consumption of alcohol led to the shrinkage and degeneration of the hippocampus, which is the portion of our brain that handles our memory, navigation and reasoning. This study involved detailed questionnaires, cognitive tests and MRI scans of 424 men and 103 women. A psychiatry professor from University of Oxford, Anya Topiwala says drinking does lead to reduced size of one’s brain and quotes “the more people drank, the smaller their hippocampus” The degeneration of the brain structure caused by alcohol is known as brain atrophy, which is a health condition causing one to lose brain cells. To conclude, heavy drinking for long periods of time reduces the size of one’s neurons. This leads to eradication of brain cell connections, and the volume of the brain decreases. 

Long term and heavy consumption of alcohol led to the shrinkage and degeneration of the hippocampus

Heavy drinking is also known to cause blackouts. As alcohol directly affects one’s hippocampus, it fosters the creation of gaps in one’s memory when intoxicated. When an adequate amount is consumed, memory consolidation, which is the transfer of memory from short term to long term storage, is blocked. Blackouts occur when one’s blood alcohol concentration (BAC)  is of about 0.16 percent and higher. This is almost twice the legal drinking limit. Studies show that a rapid rise in one’s blood alcohol concentration and the quicker entry of alcohol in one’s bloodstream, caused by drinking on an empty stomach and heavy alcohol consumption, is what would ultimately lead to blackouts.

The levels of neurotransmitters in the brain are altered when alcohol is being absorbed into one’s body

Slurred speech, incoherent thoughts and lethargic movements are examples of short term effects of alcohol. These are the instant effects of slowing down of a neurotransmitter called gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA). Dr Maria Pagano, addiction researcher and associate psychiatry professor at Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine says that the levels of neurotransmitters in the brain are altered when alcohol is being absorbed into one’s body. The neurotransmitters, which are also known as chemical messengers, send signals throughout one’s body and are responsible for voluntary and involuntary stimuli. They also play an imperative role in impulse control, emotions and physical engagements. Alcohol also leads to the increased speed of the neurotransmitter glutamate. Glutamate plays a salient role in the regulation of dopamine and Pagano explains,  “That’s why you might get that warm, fuzzy feeling when you’re drinking.”

As university students, it is not uncommon for us to go to social events where alcohol is present. One consumes alcohol for a myriad of reasons; gaining confidence and overcoming anxiety, to fulfil their undying crave for validation caused by peer pressure or even simply to forget events in one’s life. It is important to ensure that we prevent heavy drinking and find other methods of dealing with stress.

Enjoyed this article? Check out more from Sci&Tech:

Assembly Theory: A New Theory of Everything?

Myth Bust: Breakfast is the Most Important Meal of the Day

Weathering the Political Climate