Despite a couple of misses, Caravan Palace’s new album Chronologic mainly offers a series of pleasing bass drops and hard-hitting bops, writes Ellie Jeffery

BA English and History, fried chicken and eclectic music taste, at your service. Also enjoys sleeping.

I was first introduced to the Parisian band Caravan Palace almost a year and a half ago, and ever since then I have grown in my love for electro-swing music. Although I’ve branched out considerably since the beginning, the release of their album Chronologic was one I greatly anticipated. But does it live up to expectations? Well, maybe.

Caravan Palace has begun to grow in popularity, so naturally the electronic beats would take the forefront for the possibility of new fans

As far as singles go, the band picked some bangers to start off with. ‘Miracle’ was the first release to tease Chronologic , and with the synth bass sounds, electronic beats, and trippy lyrics, I was impressed. This wasn’t what I’d initially expected from a band which, so far, wore their swing influences on their sleeves; but then again, Caravan Palace has begun to grow in popularity, so naturally the electronic beats would take the forefront for the possibility of new fans.

Caravan Palace did return to swing beats in ‘About You’ (which also includes a very pleasing bass drop that I can’t help but bop to every time it comes up on shuffle) and ‘Supersonics’, but it isn’t as prevalent as in their previous albums. Considering these were both singles too, it seems that they do know how to cater to all fans, but the most important question is always this: what is the biggest bop from Chronologic ? Has anything surpassed the masterpiece stylings of <|°_°|> ’s ‘Lone Digger’?

If you’re a new fan, or if you’re only discovering that electro-swing exists from this article, then listen to ‘Waterguns’. Again, this is a track heavy on the synth and the electro in the electro-swing, but the use of trumpets and trombones in the background of the verses pay homage to the fifties. Tom Bailey provides perfectly swung vocals to complement the music, and you can’t help but feel like you’re walking on air when you’re walking down the street listening.

The opening is glorious, a fanfare of orchestral instruments before it fades out to soft vocals

‘April’ is also a masterclass in electronic music. My poor Instagram followers are subjected to this song at least once a week, to accompany whatever it is I feel I should share! The opening is glorious, a fanfare of orchestral instruments before it fades out to soft vocals. Nope, that doesn’t do it justice. Go listen. Also, the beats in the chorus are just perfection. In fact, I’m going to play it on full volume right now just to give my family the full experience.

Chronologic does have its low points too, however. I am not a huge fan of ‘Plume’ (another single), which just seems watered down. They offer the possibility of an amazing chorus, but then it just falls flat. ‘Melancolia’ is also reminiscent of crappy club electronica, with no real interest to the song. I can’t quite hear what I love about Caravan Palace in this song, which does lower the overall quality of the album for me.

But overall, I am so excited to see them perform in Birmingham in February, and I will definitely be crossing my fingers for live versions of ‘Waterguns’ and ‘April’. This band is a gift that keeps on giving, and although their sound has developed with this new album, it is (mostly) a good thing!

Chronologic is available now via Lone Diggers and MVKA

Ticets for Caravan Palace’s upcoming tour are available here