Turnover’s new album Altogether unfortunately feels like an album out of ideas, Music Critic Jamie Fowler writes

Written by Jamie Fowler

Indie rock band from Virginia, Turnover, embark on their fourth studio album with ‘Altogether’, aiming to distill their music to relaxed guitar sequences and even more subdued vocals from lead singer Austin Getz. The result however is a very repetitive project, that whilst enjoyable and musically coherent, runs out of ideas too early and comes off simplistic and unmemorable.

When the song breaks out it feels more immediate, and sadly is the most present the album ever feels

This disappointment is only elevated by the strong opening, ‘Still in Motion’. Initially sounding like a live show, a trumpet solo and distant vocals are the only elements at the beginning of the song. It places us in a voyeuristic, stripped back space which slowly builds to the studio instrumentation. When the song breaks out it feels more immediate, and sadly is the most present the album ever feels. The track goes exactly where you want it to from there, hitting the right tones as it rides over a light funk style.

Single ‘Much After Feeling’ comes next and the album still feels promising. The progression is more upbeat but retains the incentive for you to lie back and chill. ‘Parties’ is another good song that was released before the album, but in its context doesn’t deviate at all from the formulaic vibe. At this point you start to worry the album is not doing enough. Yet there is still something eerily beautiful about conflating the depressing lyrics of loneliness with the seemingly cheery instrumentals.

The same song could have been playing for fifteen minutes and suggests Altogether is an album out of ideas

‘Number on the Gate’ injects more dance energy into its hook, but still misses the edge that came in the rockier elements on past albums in Turnover’s discography. Percussion and spacey, video game-esque synths introduce ‘Sending Me Right Back’, which is another decent song, but brings out fears of sinking back into the repetitive slow pace the album clearly cannot escape. A wrong turn occurs in ‘Ceramic Sky’, which brings back the trumpets and distant vocal effects from the first track, yet just feels like an unnecessary emergency break.

This distracts from the interesting vocal flow on ‘Valley of the Moon’, as it feels irrelevant at this point. The same song could have been playing for fifteen minutes and suggests Altogether is an album out of ideas. This is not to say that it is musically unpleasant, but certainly monotonous.

‘No Reply’ thankfully steps up the band’s game with a strong hook that wakes you up from the overly dreamy atmosphere permeating the project. Original single, ‘Plant Sugar’ finally delivers the rock in Turnover’s musical palate, with everything seeming more present. However, ‘Temporary Love’ serves as an unremarkable ending, suggesting this is a temporary album. One that is great to throw on in the background, but doesn’t stay with you long after listening.

Altogether is available now via Run for Cover Records