TV Editor Kylie Clarke reports on Birmingham’s Botanical Gardens to rehome its bird collection

TV Editor. MA Language, Culture and Communication.

Birmingham’s Botanical Gardens has announced that it is rehoming its bird collection. The popular attraction, based at the Edgbaston Westbourne Rd site, will be permanently removed.

The bird collection is housed in a Lawn Aviary, which serves as a focal point on the main lawn. The Aviary’s five enclosures currently house a variety of exotic birds, including quaker parakeets, peach-faced lovebirds, azure-winged magpies, long-tailed glossy starlings, lesser hill myna birds, and white-cheeked turacos. Additionally, there is a blue and gold macaw named Bobo, a sulphur-crested cockatoo, and a blue-fronted amazon named Polly.

The decision to relocate the birds reflects the Gardens’ commitment to animal welfare and conservation

The birds will be rehomed in specialist bird sanctuaries with the expertise and resources to care for their specific needs and wellbeing. These sanctuaries include Lincolnshire Wildlife Park (near Boston, Lincolnshire), Birdland Park and Gardens (Bourton-on-the-Water, Gloucestershire), and Tropical Birdland (Leicester, Leicestershire). The decision to relocate the birds reflects the Gardens’ commitment to animal welfare and conservation.

‘The carefully chosen sites are equipped with the expertise and resources to cater to the birds’ specific needs, providing them with a nurturing environment where they can thrive and flourish. Our responsible decision to relocate the bird collection has been carefully considered alongside our values and commitment to animal welfare and conservation practices.’

The change reflects the Gardens’ vision to prioritise horticulture. The transfer of the birds will take place in the next couple of weeks.

Read more News articles here:

Birmingham Recycling Technology Selected as Minerals Security Partnership

Thai Hostages Reunite with their Families in Bangkok

Birmingham Family’s Four-Year Plea for Help in ‘Unsafe’ Council Flat Nightmare