Culture Writer Joi Foote reviews legendary news reporter Bruce Johnson’s book, Surviving Deep Waters

Written by Joi Foote
Images by Simon & Schuster

Legendary news reporter Bruce Johnson bears all in the ‘ultimate American story of race, opportunity, and perseverance,’ swapping the camera for pen to write Surviving Deep Waters, the gripping autobiography of his life and discussing the highs and lows and just about everything in between. From growing up poor, being raised by his single mother in Louisville Kentucky, to becoming a household name and added to the hall of fame for the society of professional journalists, this was not an easy journey for Johnson and through this book he gives an exclusive and direct access to how he became one of Washington’s top news reporters.

Through this book he gives an exclusive and direct access to how he became one of Washington’s top news reporters

From the very first line, Johnson hooked and captured my attention from start to finish. Face to face with the FBI, reporting a career blowing story on the current standing Mayor. It is no doubt that Johnson has had an extensive career in telling stories of and to his community. His ability to recount this moment to us and unfold the action like a pilot episode of a television series. This was a deliberate act on the part of Johnson, to set up 300 pages of more excitement. The use of a circular narrative as we return to this moment in chapter eight was a nice touch. This allows us to see what he went through leading up to what would be a memorable moment in his career.

I particularly liked how this book often resisted a conventional chronological order. Memories, past and present, would often come together as he laments and reflects on them. This was done in such a way as not to disorientate his reader, but rather place them alongside Johnson in navigating his way through his thoughts.

With Surviving Deep Waters, I found myself immersed in each and every chapter

Truth be told I am not an avid reader of autobiographies or non-fiction books in general. Books fulfil this sense of escapism, transporting me to the world of my imaginary protagonist. More often than not, this is harder to do when reading pieces of non-fiction. However, with Surviving Deep Waters, I found myself immersed in each and every chapter. For me, it read a lot more like a book of fiction. It didn’t just tell me a story but allowed me to submerge myself within it. I pictured the seminary school Bruce attended from a young age; I envisioned those nights he slept in his car at university, and I felt the heartbreak when discussing the unfortunate case of the Garrison twins. Considering the subject matter of this book, to do so with such skill made for a refreshing read.

In the words of Johnson himself, ‘I am not a victim of anything. I am a survivor of a lot of things.’ I think this speaks to the heart of what this autobiography is about. His journey of surviving those deep waters, a metaphor for the struggles and hardships he has had to face. I finished this book admiring the effort he had gone through just to ‘do better.’ Not once are we made to feel sorry for him, rather his story of resilience is one to take away and reflect on our life circumstances. This is certainly a highly recommended read.

Enjoyed this? Read more on Redbrick Culture!

Book Review: Jumping Sharks and Dropping Mics

Book Review: Cheer Coach Monica Aldama’s Full Out

The Importance of Saving Honresfield Library