Deputy Editor Oscar Frost reviews Birmingham’s hugely successful day out at BUCS Cross Country

Written by Oscar Frost
Hi! I'm Oscar, and I'm one of your deputy editors for the coming year. I was also a sports editor for two years, and a writer for a year before that.

The Birmingham University Athletics Club had their most successful BUCS cross-country ever, taking home 13 medals from the competition.

“I am incredibly proud of all this team continues to do,” commented Luke Gunn, head of athletics at the university. 

“Yes, the athletes produced record breaking performances, but seeing our coaching staff and committee build such an inclusive and supportive environment means even more to us!” continued Gunn.

In the final race of the day, the BUAC men’s A squad took home the overall gold medal, as well as securing the first ever podium sweep. European Champion Will Barnicoat added BUCS champion to his resume, completing the 9,690m course in 33:07. Tomer Tarragano and Ollie Smart rounding out the podium to complete the historic sweep. Tyler Bilyard was also in the top 10, completing the team victory for Birmingham.

In the women’s A race, Amelia Quirk romped to victory in 30:24. She beat out some stiff competition from a plethora of universities. Quirk’s efforts were supplemented by Elisha Tait, Elsa Palmer and Kate Willis’ strong runs to secure a team silver for BUAC.

“I am incredibly proud of all this team continues to do,”

The A races were stacked full of talent, but the B races have also been testing grounds for some of the best up and coming athletes in the university cross-country scene.

The first race of the day was the women’s short course. With Charlotte Alexander finishing in first place and Rosie Hamilton-James just behind, BUAC began the day how they meant to go on with a team gold medal with Rose Chesterfield also contributing to the team.

BUAC did not stop there, however, as a second team of Freya Stapleton, Zoe Hunter and Hannah Seager also took home a team bronze to add to the medal tally.

The women’s B race also highlighted the depth of the squad, with 9 of the top 15 athletes hailing from Birmingham.

In the men’s short course, Elliot Moran and Sam Burkitt both secured podium positions after finishing second and third respectively.

Read more Sport articles here:

Match Report: Birmingham City Women vs London City Lionesses

UBWCC show impressive spirit in competitive BUCS Finals

Crowd violence overshadows Wolves FA Cup 4th round win