Guild President Josh Williams reassures that students should not be prevented from graduating as a result of the strikes, despite graduation fears at Cardiff University

Written by Joseph Meakin
News Editor 2020-21

An article published by The Tab has revealed that the upcoming strike action could result in students being unable to graduate at the end of the academic year.

Jackie Yip, Cardiff University’s student union president, said in an email chain that included over 70 student union presidents that ‘further strike action will now result in some of my students will have missed so much content that they will not be able to graduate this year, even if there are mitigating actions put in place.’

Guild President Joshua Williams told Redbrick: ‘I’m not aware at present that this will be an issue at Birmingham but we will continue to support students’ academic interests before, during and after the strike period.’

Redbrick also contacted the University of Birmingham’s press office, which passed on the following statement giving reassurances to UoB’s final year students:

‘We understand that the possibility of strike action at this time may be of particular concern to final year and PGT students and we are currently putting measures in place to ensure that strike action will not unduly affect anybody’s ability to graduate.’

He also recommended students take a look at the ‘University Strike FAQs’ page on the intranet, for further guidance with regards to strike action.