Life&Style Writer Imi Turner outlines her top tips for styling cardigans this autumn

Written by Imi Turner
Images by Oleg Magni

Cardigans: whether oversized and slouchy, cropped and fitted, embroidered and colourful or classic and neutral- they are key to staying warm this autumn. In recent decades, this versatile knitwear has been dubbed frumpy, drab and unflattering but there are many styles and fits of a cardigan that work as something more than a warm layer- it’s all about how you wear them.

There are many styles and fits of a cardigan that work as something more than a warm layer

Two of the best examples of new ways to style cardigans come from model Bella Hadid and Rihanna. Bella has taken to wearing hers unbuttoned with nothing underneath paired with low-rise loose jeans to create a minimalist look, echoing 90s fashion. Rihanna’s opted for sporting a cardigan as a dress, creating a comfortable and cool outfit. Both styles appear much more effortless than the traditional styling of cardigans.

Bella and Rihanna’s adaption of the humble cardigan is, however, certainly not ideal for the Birmingham winter but there are many ways of adapting it to create a warmer yet fashionable look. Almost all Highstreet shops and online retailers are stocking cardigans perfect for this trend with more sustainable options also available; such as the brand Nobodys Child, the JOIN LIFE range at Zara, or charity shops and depop.

Here are our favourite cardigan trends:

• Cropped: a cropped cardigan is an easy way of making them a more flattering shape by hitting at your waist and the more modern shape fights against the ‘grandma’ stereotype. They can still be warm when paired with high waisted jeans.

• Quirky embroidery and embellishments: this is an easy way of standing out and a particular favourite of mine is from & Other Stories… complete with dinosaur buttons.

• Oversized: whether worn as a dress (with tights and chunky boots), or just layered over a white tee with some loose jeans- the oversized style is an easy, relaxed way of styling a cardigan without looking too twee.