News Writer Yankie Chow reports on yet another demonstration at the HSBC headquarters

Written by YankieChow

With the increasing awareness of fossil fuel usage, Extinction Rebellion Birmingham activists held yet another demonstration on the 24th of November, around the HSBC headquarters in Birmingham City Center, aiming to confront the bank’s investments in fossil fuels.

There have already been several demonstrations at the HSBC headquarters in recent days regarding HSBC and its investments in fossil fuels. On April 22, 2021, nine women defendants, all members of Extinction Rebellion, sang and chanted during a demonstration at HSBC. They shattered the glass windows with hammers and chisels, wearing patches with the words ‘better-broken windows than broken promises’ to protest against the bank’s investment of 80 billion into fossil fuels over five years. 

‘better-broken windows than broken promises’

The nine women caused damage estimated at over half a million pounds during the hours of action, protesting against the bank’s investments in coal and other fossil fuel financing by breaking windows. Their actions attracted media attention, including coverage from Sky News, The Guardian, and The Times. Although the nine women admitted using hammers and chisels to break windows at the HSBC office, they all denied criminal damage to HSBC, arguing they had a lawful excuse for their acts. The jury returned a not-guilty verdict after two hours of deliberation.

Similar demonstrations have taken place at banks in Oxford and Reading, protesting against banks for funding the use of fossil fuels. In central Oxford, the group occupied Barclays, displaying a banner stating that the bank ‘funds climate famine’. Protesters in Reading stood outside HSBC on Broad Street with fake police tape that said ‘climate crime scene’. These HSBC banks are known to be the biggest funders and financiers for oil and gas, contributing to the escalation of climate risks and endangering lives. 

HSBC banks are known to be the biggest funders and financiers for oil and gas, contributing to the escalation of climate risks and endangering lives

In response, a spokesperson from HSBC has attempted to resolve the situation by emphasizing the bank’s commitment to supporting its customers and playing a crucial role in the transition to a more sustainable world. They mentioned plans to reduce emissions to net zero in operations, supply chain, and financed emissions of customers by 2050 or sooner. However, there are concerns that HSBC’s commitment only addresses new projects, leaving a loophole in plans for financing fossil fuels. The funding provided by HSBC continues to encourage global warming, contradicting the bank’s commitment to sustainability and exacerbating the problems of greenhouse gases and the environment.

The group hopes to continue raising awareness about how the bank persists in investing in fossil fuels, contributing to the worsening global warming.

Read more News articles here:

Arrest Made After Pedestrian Left in Critical Condition Following Alleged Hit and Run

Labour Pledges to End England’s Badger Cull if Elected

Leader and gang members of people-smuggling network sentenced