News Writer Paris Williams reports on Sweden: From Neutral to NATO

A law undergraduate with a passion for reading, writing, the guitar and powerlifting.

After two years, Sweden officially joined countries such as America, France, Finland, and Canada to become NATO’s 32nd member. This ensures that Sweden will be protected by the other NATO members if under attack. Sweden will now be protected under  Article 5 of NATO, which ensures collective defense when necessary.

This historical moment sees the once-neutral country transition to an internationalist position. Their neutrality was an attempt to maintain a moderate stance between the East and West during the Cold War. However, their neutral stance began over 200 years ago during the Napoleonic Wars. Now, the country joins its neighbor, Finland, which joined in April 2023.

Sweden will now be protected under  Article 5 of NATO, which ensures collective defense when necessary

The process of joining this alliance began in May 2022, when Sweden applied to become a member. Their application was a response to the Russian invasion of Ukraine (which began in February 2022), prompting the country to align with the West. Ukraine’s Prime Minister, Volodymyr Zelensky, has welcomed this moment as it ensures that ‘one more country in Europe has become more protected from Russian evil.’ It is clear that Sweden’s motivation to join the alliance was prompted by the military actions of Russia. The US Secretary of State, Antony Blinken, explained that after Russia invaded Ukraine, ‘…then everything changed.’

The road to Sweden’s accession has not been smooth. Their request to join NATO was blocked by two members, and Turkey refused to approve their application. The Turkish veto was based on claims that Sweden was harboring Kurdish terrorist groups and was too lenient with freedom of speech within its borders.

It is clear that Sweden’s motivation to join the alliance was prompted by the military actions of Russia

Despite this, on March 7, 2023, at 5:30 PM in Sweden, their alliance with NATO was formed. The Prime Minister of Sweden, Ulf Kristersson, expressed his happiness about the completion of the process, explaining that ‘Good things come to those who wait. [This is] no better example.’ Joe Biden, the US President, deems NATO to be ‘…stronger than ever,’ due to their new member. The joining of Sweden brings strategic and military strength, with all Nordic countries joining the American-born treaty—forming the Baltic as the ‘NATO Sea.’

Sweden’s flag now joins the rest of its allies, as it was raised into position during a ceremony on March 11, 2024, at the NATO headquarters in Brussels.

This marks a fundamental moment in the 21st century, both historically and militarily.

Read more News updates here:

Trump’s Final Republican Rival Drops Out of Presidential Race Following Super Tuesday Disappointment

Birmingham’s Botanical Gardens to Rehome its Bird Collection

CQC Report Highlights Urgent Improvements Needed in Birmingham A&E Departments