News Writer Arjan Dhaliwal reports on comments from the Education Minister, Andrea Jenkyns, who wants to crack down on ‘lower quality courses’

Written by Arjan Dhaliwal
Images by Inaki del Olmo

Andrea Jenkyns, Education Minister, said that the government will clamp down on ‘Harry Potter degrees’ when speaking at an event at the Conservative Party Conference. This goes with her claim that UK universities are pushing ‘left-wing agendas’, as she also plans to enforce ‘free speech’ in university seminars. 

This aligns with her main point that UK universities are helping to provide lower quality courses, which would see ‘people get a degree in Harry Potter studies than an apprenticeship in construction.’ Jenkyns was appointed for her role last month by new Prime Minister, Liz Truss. Her remarks are the latest indication that the government would strive to reduce the number of courses accessible to students as it transitions to ‘a more skills-based education system.’

Her remarks are the latest indication that the government would strive to reduce the number of courses accessible to students as it transitions to ‘a more skills-based education system.’

A student studying liberal arts responded to this saying, ‘I’d rather study a course I have an interest in, rather than be forced to do something like S.T.E.M.’ 

Another student also responded, ‘Is doing anything that’s not got to do with numbers a Harry Potter degree’, following up by mentioning that, ‘Boris [Johnson] studied Classics at Oxford – isn’t that closer to Harry Potter studies?’ 

Jenkyns also argued that universities in certain circumstances are giving pupils a ‘meal of critical racial theory, anti-British history, and sociological Marxism’ that the government is keen to replace. 

‘A competent contemporary economy competing on the world stage demands technical skills just as much as degrees,’ she said at a Bruges Group gathering. 

She has insisted that ‘If a course isn’t providing someone with a positive outcome’, it makes ‘no sense’ that the government ‘should be funding it’. The minister added: ‘I’m determined to make sure that the skills we give our young people are fit for the future, in some cases they simply aren’t getting this at universities.’ 

According to The FT, an OfS (Office of Students) spokeswoman stated the action is part of ‘an effort to crack down on courses deemed low-quality.’

According to The FT, an OfS (Office of Students) spokeswoman stated the action is part of ‘an effort to crack down on courses deemed low-quality.’ Ms Jenkyns also indicated that the government will proceed with plans to propose a higher education freedom of expression bill in the coming months. This is aimed to allow students to voice their own opinions and receive an education that is impartial and does ‘not push left-wing agendas onto students.’ 

She followed this up by saying ‘the world had gone bonkers’ when mentioning how universities look to include pronoun badges. 

The Department for Education (DfE) stated last week that institutions would now be subject to minimum retention requirements for the proportion of students who complete their degree.

Universities and colleges will be investigated until 75% of students finish their studies and 60% go on to additional study or full-time employment within 15 months of graduation. The Telegraph talks about how universities could face fines based on student performances and percentage of employment after graduation, with the hope that this will increase the benefit of education and lead to regular employment after.

Want to read more from Redbrick News? Check out other recent news reports here: 

Dad’s Cosy Coat Project Proves to be a Massive Success

Protesters Respond to Conservative Party Conference in Birmingham

Cost of Living Crisis May Deter Students from Studying at University