Gaming Writer Yankie Chow explores 5 games that hold a special place in their life

As a game lover, I really enjoy trying out different games, particularly those games that seemed interesting when I saw them broadcasted in advertisements but also the ones my friends had tried out and sincerely recommended. Here are five different games I enjoy the most and have been playing for quite some time.

Genshin Impact

I was attracted by how cute the characters are

Everyone might have encountered this game through the massive advertisements on different online media platforms like YouTube and Instagram. I was attracted by how cute the characters are and how freely we can explore the world of the unknown. I really love how the game gives us the freedom to explore different worlds on our own. The detail and the beauty of both the characters and the environment, as well as the storyline, are really attractive. There were quite a few things I loved and enjoyed about the game, but the most important reason why I was so immersed in this game was how there was a gacha function in pulling for the characters you’ve wished for.

That’s how my friends and I connected together in the UK

There are lots of wonderful memories of playing this game, especially when a lot of friends around me were into these games as well. Apart from pulling the characters we liked from different regions and versions, we could also join the game together and ‘farm’ for different materials and items just to level up the characters’ levels and talents to boost their damage.

But the thing I like the most is how my friends and I could solve the puzzles during the quest while beating enemies together. That’s my friends and I connected together in the UK despite how far apart we were. Genshin is one of the games in which my friends and I continued to bond through farming and defeating bosses as well as exploring the world in the game.

Arena of Valor

I soon understood why so many people loved the game

This is also a rather popular game, having been downloaded a lot of times. The game is about fighting against opponents and competing on the battlefield with your teammates by cooperating with the skills of different characters. I wasn’t a huge fan of these online multiplayer games at first, especially since I didn’t come across this game until a recommendation from my friend who was a great player. She invited me for one match and taught me how to deal with opponents, killing them within seconds. I soon understood why so many people loved the game and I also began to enjoy playing this game.

This game is our night-time event every day after school

Soon, I realised there were more people than I’d expected who shared the same interest as me in playing this game. Every night after class, my friends and I would gather around the common area in our dorms and sit on the sofas, playing this game as a team while listening to music. This game is our night-time event every day after school, particularly our main activity during the holidays. That is quite memorable as we would fight over who is the one killing the enemies or trying out different characters and skills and the day would pass really quickly. 

Roblox

My friend and I would spend myriads of time during class sneaking to play Roblox

The first time I encountered this game was through the recommendations of my friend who had been playing that most of the time. I decided to try the game after my friend introduced me to Roblox where there is a wide range of games to choose from. I wasn’t really interested in joining at first, but after my friend introduced the games she thought I would be interested in, which were those simulation games, I finally understood why she was really into Roblox and I started to love to play the games it offered.

My friend and I would spend myriads of time during class sneaking to play Roblox to gain rewards away from the keyboard and immediately continue our journey of gaming after a long day at school. My friend would help me out with the game by entering into my world and we would decorate the stimulatory area. She would also introduce me to the other games she had discovered which was interesting and we would spend most of the time trying out different games throughout the weekends or during the breaks in class.

Honkai Star Rail

Both of the games have the same thing I really like which is the gacha function

This is a rather new game compared to the others, but at the same time the one I recently fell in love with because of how similar it was to the other game by miHoYo, Genshin Impact. Both of the games have the same thing I really like which is the gacha function to pull for your favourite characters and explore the world. Just like Genshin, it is a similar gameplay with levelling up characters and boosting their skill damage by grinding different materials for the character.

Animations when each character attacks the enemies were great in my opinion

Still, there is a slight difference between the two games. There is auto damage in the battle for the game, which I kind of appreciate as I really like games that allow me to shift focus onto something else while gaming. Apart from the auto button, the other thing I also liked was how cute those characters were.

I remembered how amazing I thought all those new character releases were and how strong they were and wished to pull for all of the characters. Not only does the unique design of each character appeal to me, but at the same time, those animations when each character attacks the enemies were great in my opinion. Those animations were insanely beautiful and that’s why I am hooked on this game.

Garena Speed Drifters

Just like any other online game, we could play with our friends or just alone

I was looking forward to this game before its release because of how amazing the advertisement was.  I was interested in everything from the colourful racetracks and the varieties of cars to choose from to how many modes there are in the game. This game was similar to Mario Kart, just that there were more other gameplay options in my opinion. Apart from the props mode just like the ones in Mario Kart, there are also modes that focus on the speed and skills of the players.

Just like many other online games, we could play with our friends or just alone. I really loved the game and downloaded it instantly after its release, and the thrill of it as well as the different modes of the game really made me hooked. I particularly liked how the game was willing to give gifts no matter whether you were an old players, new players, or a returning player.

This is the game me and my peers often played during high school

The reason why I loved this game was how ground-breaking their modes could be as the game improved in different versions. This is the game me and my peers often played during high school and we loved to start rank matches and climb up the leader board in the game till we reached the highest point, or just chill out through other modes in order to win the prizes in the game. Till now, I still enjoy the gameplay about racing and climbing up the leader board during rank matches even though many players started fading into the background after years of development.

Read more gaming features here:

5 Games That Mean Something To: Tom Martin

5 Games That Mean Something To: Kyle Moffat

5 Games That Mean Something To: Sam Arrowsmith