Sports Editor Lucy Blitz previews a busy March in the Women’s Super League, identifying 5 must-watch fixtures

Sports Editor and Writer. Mainly talking about the WSL, the Premier League, and all things cricket.

The Women’s Super League is drawing closer to the final hurdles, but a jam-packed March  leaves all twelve teams with serious obstacles to face first. With local derbies, top-of-the table-tussles, and the navigation of cup fixtures alongside for some, the next three weeks is  set to deliver some of the best football yet. Here are just a handful of showdowns set for the  screens this month. 

Chelsea vs Arsenal, Friday 15th March, 7pm 

The one that has everyone talking. With only three points separating the pair, leaders  Chelsea will host the Gunners at Stamford Bridge in the WSL’s next fixture for a face-off that  has serious consequences for the title-race. The Blues faced defeat in the reverse fixture at  the Emirates in December, but will take comfort from a stellar goal difference of +32  compared to Arsenal’s +19 – as well as a home advantage that could well deliver Chelsea’s  biggest support yet thanks to a recent marketing push across the capital. 

the ever-reliable Lauren James will be on hand to contribute to an already impressive personal tally this season

While the Blues may be without Sam Kerr this time round, the ever-reliable Lauren James will be on hand to contribute to an already impressive personal tally this season. Emma  Hayes’ hopes of restricting an Arsenal double will also be boosted by the recent debut of  summer signing Catarina Macario, who scored her first goal for the club against Leicester  earlier this month following a spell of 641 days on the side-lines. 

Tottenham vs Leicester City, Sunday 17th March, 2pm 

In a middle-table-tussle, Willie Kirk’s Leicester will travel south to Brisbane Road for a battle  with the Lilywhites, the first of three vital fixtures for the Foxes this month. November’s  meeting between the pair resulted in a 1-1 draw, but both Kirk and Robert Vilahamn will be  desperate for all three points this time out as just one game’s worth separates the two sides  heading into this battle. 

The Foxes also take on Aston Villa and Brighton in the coming weeks, games where results  are crucial if Kirk’s side are to ensure a higher-placed finish than both opponents this  season. Meanwhile, Vilahamn’s Tottenham will be on the hunt for their first victory since  January’s epic clash with West Ham, which left Spurs on the right side of a 4-3 classic.  

Man City vs Man United, Saturday 23rd March, 12.30pm 

As eyes turn to the second Manchester derby of the season, the Etihad hosts this highly  anticipated showdown in one of March’s must-see fixtures. City, on course for a race to the  finish line with title-holders Chelsea, snatched all three points in November following goals  from Jill Roord, Lauren Hemp, and Khadija Shaw. 

City manager Gareth Taylor, who penned a three-year contract extension earlier this month,  may be without Roord following her ACL rupture, but the consistency from Shaw certainly  makes up for such an absence. The striker, leading the golden boot race with a mammoth 

15 goals to her name, is no stranger to the big occasions and will certainly be looking to add  to her impressive total against local rivals United. 

Aston Villa vs Leicester City, Saturday 30th March, 12.30pm 

Leicester face a trip to Bescot  Stadium as part of a gruelling three weeks for the Foxes

Possibly two of the most evenly matched teams this season, Leicester face a trip to Bescot  Stadium as part of a gruelling three weeks for the Foxes. With Rachel Daly’s 16th-minute goal  proving the difference at Pirelli Stadium in January, Kirk will be desperate to avoid back-to back defeats against Aston Villa as the two continue to chase each other for the better finish  in May. 

Meanwhile, Carla Ward may have quietened her critics for the meantime given a mixed-set  of recent results, but Villa are set for a significant drop against last season’s 5th-placed finish  unless things improve in the meantime. Having been plagued with injuries and a tough set  of fixtures in the run-up to the winter break, circumstances are far from the Champions  League contention that pundits had predicted for Ward and her side ahead of last October. 

West Ham vs Brighton, Sunday 31st March, 3pm 

While the Hammers may be six points clear of the relegation zone, Rehanne Skinner will be  eager to put as much distance between her side and 12th-place Bristol City as the weeks go  by. Following a remarkable January transfer window for the London-outfit, West Ham’s  triumph against Arsenal last month proved themselves to be worthy of a place in the WSL – but Brighton, along with Everton, continue to keep them from climbing to safety. 

For the Seagulls, March has already delivered enormous success following a 3-7 thrashing of  Bristol City, with seven different goalscorers highlighting the versatility of Brighton’s squad.  Interim manager Mikey Harris, who took over following the shock departure of Melissa  Phillips in February, faces the task of navigating an FA Cup quarter-final with Man United  ahead of a trip to London – but things are certainly looking up for Brighton.

Read more from Sport here:

BUAC Romp to BUCS Cross Country Success

Why are darts fans going Bunting mental?

Lewis Hamilton makes shock transfer to Ferrari