Food&Drink Writers Josie Hart and Emily Breeds give us 2 nostalgic pancake recipes for this years pancake day

My favourite pancakes- Emily Breeds

Pancake Day is one of my favourite times of the year. Although pancakes are really popular nowadays, I have fond memories of looking forward to pancake day as they were such a rare treat. I remember waiting all day to have pancakes for pudding, or in more recent years waking up knowing I’m having them for breakfast. There is no better sound than sizzling pancakes, followed by your mum calling for you to bring your plate. And there is something very special about creating memories around food, with the whole family in the kitchen sharing fillings and making a treat they can all enjoy together.

Vegan Banana Pancake Recipe

This recipe only uses three ingredients, and is a perfect way to use up any leftover milk and bananas.

Ingredients:

1 ripe banana

150g plain flour

150ml plant milk of choice (e.g. almond, soya, rice)

1 tbsp oil for frying (may need more as you keep cooking)

To serve (optional)

Maple syrup

Fresh fruit

Method:

1. Mash the banana well until it resembles a pulp.
  2. In a measuring jug, whisk the banana, milk and flour together until you have a smooth batter.
  3. Heat the oil in the pan over a medium heat. Test the heat by spooning a tiny bit of batter into the pan. If it
  4. sizzles and begins to cook straight away, the oil is hot enough.
  5. Pour enough batter into the pan to form two pancakes (or as many as your pan will hold). Remember to keep them fairly thick. When the tops of the pancakes begin to bubble, flip them over and cook until both sides are golden brown.
  6. Repeat until you’ve used all the batter, or made as many pancakes as you wish. You may need to heat extra oil for the following pancakes.
  7. Serve with maple syrup and fresh fruit and enjoy!

Back To Basics: 3 Ingredient Pancake Recipe You Can’t Get Wrong – Josie Hart

3 ingredients…endless pancakes. After spending time on the internet sifting through endless different, complex recipes in preparation for pancake day, it’s difficult to understand why so many aren’t preaching the age-old, traditional recipe. It literally cannot get easier. And this isn’t even the egg/banana or whatever other healthier variation of pancake. Just the ageless traditional pancakes that you can surprise everyone with when you reveal you didn’t go for a packet mix this year. You won’t even need the recipe in front of you once you’ve made these once. If you can remember any course content at all, you can definitely remember the easiest recipe of all time. To end the suspense here it is:

Ingredients:

1 Cup of Plain Flour
1 Egg
1 Cup of Milk

Method:
1. Add all the ingredients to a large mixing jug
2. Blend using a handheld blender. If you don’t have one you can whisk THOROUGHLY (you want to make sure there are no flour lumps)
3. Pour a quantity of the mix into a greased, hot frying pan. It’s personal preference how much you pour in depending if you’re going for stack pancakes or crepes. If you’re going for crepes, you’ll probably want to pour in a little more mix and move the pan around until it reaches all edges
4. Flip (try not to let it end up stuck to the ceiling)
5. Serve once both sides are light brown

It’s quite likely that your first pancake won’t turn out quite as planned but this is often because the pan needs time to properly heat and, honestly, is a common necessity of the pancake making experience. However, it’s worth sticking it out when they were this easy to make. Happy pancake day!