Comment Writer Sarah Broadhurst reflects on her four years at university and the lessons she learned through the journey

Written by Sarah Broadhurst

As I stand on the brink of bidding farewell to the iconic city of Birmingham, it’s time to unravel the tapestry of lessons woven through my four transformative years of university life. A journey that began with the radiant allure of Old Joe on a sunny open day has matured into a mosaic of challenges and revelations. Here are the four indispensable lessons I have learned through my academic odyssey.

University Life: A Personal Odyssey

University life, it turns out, is as individual as fingerprints. In a landscape veiled by the stereotype of the ‘boozy culture,’ the revelation dawned – there’s no prescribed script for the perfect university experience. Embracing the quietude of a night in can be as enriching as the revelry of social gatherings and clubbing. But often there feels like a rigid social pressure of ‘uni life’. Saying ‘no’ to plans became a cornerstone of self-discovery, a sentiment I wish had been endorsed from the outset.

Quality Over Quantity

The quality of your social life is not determined by the number of friends you have. In the cacophony of lectures and the tumult of new beginnings, the realisation struck like a chord: the essence of a fulfilling social life lies not in numbers but in the quality of connections forged. Amidst the initial disorientation of being three hundred miles from home, the significance of communicative relationships became apparent. The camaraderie of those who validate feelings and assure sanity amid the chaos, became the bedrock of my resilience.

Cultivate Curiosity

Navigating the labyrinth of university offerings requires an adventurous spirit. Societies, sports, and untapped resources beckon, waiting to be explored. The dictum emerged: be inquisitive. Experimentation, whether in academia or extracurricular pursuits, alleviates the fear of the unknown. Crafting habits that align with ambitions, from weekly long-distance calls to bi-weekly brunches, propels us beyond the routine into a realm of self-designed fulfilment.

Crafting habits that align with ambitions, from weekly long-distance calls to bi-weekly brunches, propels us beyond the routine into a realm of self-designed fulfilment.

Embrace Failure as a Catalyst for Growth

In a culture where the spectre of failure looms large, a crucial lesson materialised: don’t be afraid to fail. As William Davis, a lecturer at Goldsmiths University, posits ‘a burgeoning fear of failure permeates student circles’. Yet, in the crucible of so-called ‘failures,’ profound metamorphoses occur. Moments of growth, subtle but monumental, arise from the willingness to confront imperfections. To shun the fear of failure is to stifle the seeds of creativity and hinder the progress inherent in the journey of learning.

To shun the fear of failure is to stifle the seeds of creativity and hinder the progress inherent in the journey of learning.

In bidding adieu to UOB, these four lessons stand as pillars of wisdom, testaments to the intricate tapestry woven through the transformative landscape of higher education. As you navigate this transformative chapter let these lessons be your compass. May you manoeuvre the labyrinth of individuality, prioritise the quality of connections, cultivate curiosity and above all embrace the inevitability of growth through both successes and failures. Here to a journey as unique as you are.

Read more Comment articles on university here:

Frosty First Year: Asking for Help

Maturing Through Studies

Reflections On My Degree