Redbrick Comment Editor Amelia Hiller takes us through and breaks down five musical landmarks of her life

Written by Amelia Hiller

The Sound of My Childhood: Sixpence None the Richer – ‘Kiss Me’

One of my earliest memories is singing along to this song with my mum and dad, and wondering what a ‘milky twilight’ was. The band are a mutual love of my parents, and they’ve been the soundtrack to long, family car journeys for as long as I can remember; around sixteen years later, I still play it to myself on long journeys. Whenever I hear this track, it brings a smile to my face and immediately casts me back to singing with my parents in a packed car down to sunny Cornwall.

The Sound of my Adolescence: Two Door Cinema Club – ‘Something Good Can Work’ 

At the ripe age of fourteen, I decided I was going to be ‘cool’. The JLS obsession was (almost) well and truly over and I was ready to embark on an indie/alternative transformation which, alongside going to some very cool gigs in London (which didn’t happen, my mum wouldn’t let me), I believed would definitely make me the edgiest girl in Year 9.

Unfortunately, I never did become cool or edgy, but I did start listening to music that wasn’t on the United Kingdom’s Big Top 40. I fell in love with the Irish trio ‘Two Door Cinema Club’, and lead singer Alex Trimble even received the honour of a brief stint on my lock screen. The track is fast-paced, upbeat and, let me tell you, when I finally saw them live at a very cool gig in London at the age of seventeen, this song was everything I hoped it’d be.

An Essential for Every Car Journey: Glass Animals – ‘Youth’

The first time I heard this song was at the NME tent at Leeds Festival in 2017. My friend Fern had professed that she wanted to watch Glass Animals’ set, and I wasn’t sure because I liked maybe two of Major Lazer’s songs and they were playing Main Stage. But I thought I’d give them a try. After all, they had a great band name and I’d won the tickets, so I wanted to see new music there and make the most of an opportunity I was lucky to receive. The band quickly became one of my all-time favourites.

To be frank, every one of Glass Animals’ songs is worthy content for an ultimate driving playlist, but ‘Youth’ is particularly notable for its incredibly groovy chorus. It’s the perfect track for any journey, whether it be a long motorway stretch or driving down a country road in summer with the windows down and the music up high. For me, this track is the ultimate ‘feel good’ song, guaranteed to put me in the best mood ever. I am incredibly thankful to have had Fern guiding me in the right direction in Summer 2017, because Major Lazer simply cannot be compared to Glass Animals.

A Song That Lifts My Mood: Sia & Sean Paul – ‘Cheap Thrills’

Sia released this single from her album This is Acting in February 2016, in my final year of sixth form. In the months leading up to our A Levels, this track was constantly on repeat in my best friend’s car, and because I couldn’t drive yet, I was always sat in the passenger seat singing along. The track reminds me of the summer just before university, studying hard for exams and spending time with my friends before we all said goodbye to each other in September. It was one of the best summers of my life so far, and that’s why every time I hear it, this song brings back fond memories and always lifts my mood.

The Best Track I’ve Seen Live (So Far): Arctic Monkeys – ‘Pretty Visitors’

I’d wanted to see Arctic Monkeys live since 2013, so when I did get to see them perform to a packed O2 arena in London last September, I made sure to get there early. Me and my boyfriend stood close to the front for two and a half hours, and we weren’t disappointed. Our view of the stage was perfect, the atmosphere was incredible, and Arctic Monkeys’ performance lived completely up to the high expectations that paying around £80 per ticket had formed. I can’t say that ‘Pretty Visitors’ used to be a particular favourite of mine, but my opinion was transformed after hearing it performed live and experiencing the energy that it brought to the crowd. Fortunately or unfortunately (I still haven’t decided), we were in the middle of an absolutely enormous moshpit, with everyone screaming the lyrics to each other. It was one of the highlights of the gig, and remains the best track I’ve seen live today because of the incredible energy in the crowd.