Sport writer Max Kelly profiles Jude Bellingham, City’s youngest debutant, who is earmarked for success in the future

Food&Drink Editor. Third year Chemical Engineering student

In Birmingham City’s 145-year history, there has never been a younger appearance maker than Jude Bellingham. Aged just 16 years and 38 days, Bellingham made his first-team debut in an unremarkable defeat to Portsmouth earlier this season. Since then, however, he has refused to fade into obscurity like so many teenage talents before him. 

Birmingham City are currently in their ninth season away from the top flight, and have failed to finish above 10th since 2011-2012. Add to this that they recently sold Che Adams, undoubtedly their player of last season, and there does not seem to be much hope for the Blues.  Their shining light, however, is Jude Bellingham, a 16-year-old youth academy product that has the skill and technique to take him to the very top. 

Despite this being Bellingham’s first season in professional football, his tactical role has already adapted, allowing him to become a key cog in a Pep Clotet’s system. Introduced to senior football on the wide-left, Bellingham has progressively moved into a central midfield position, where his considerable talents allow him more time on the ball. His box-to-box role has allowed the Birmingham-native to contribute prolifically in the final third, with four goals and two assists in the Championship this season. 

However, Bellingham’s true value is his ability to contribute to all phases of play. At his age, many would forgive the youngster for shirking the more physical side of the game, particularly in such a demanding league as the Championship. For Bellingham, however, this is far from the case. On multiple occasions this season, the Birmingham City fans have seen Bellingham effectively win back possession through a combination of strength, technique and youthful determination. This willingness to be the talismanic figure at Birmingham provides evidence for the sort of leader that Bellingham could grow into being, perhaps even at the elite tier of European football. 

[Bellingham] has been linked with some of the biggest clubs in Europe

The young Englishman, who grew up just 15 miles outside of Birmingham in the town of Stourbridge, has been linked with some of the biggest clubs in Europe. Manchester United reportedly had a bid rejected in January, and now Liverpool look the more likely destination. Being at Liverpool would undoubtedly provide him with more fierce competition for a starting role, but could also be the ideal place for the young midfielder to learn from players with extensive European and international experience. Wherever Bellingham ends up, the inevitability of his progression into the top flight is testament to his acumen and willingness to contribute to both the attacking and defensive side of the game. 

Whilst it is possible that Birmingham City fans may not see much of Bellingham past this season, they have certainly been witness to one of England’s most promising young talents.