The ‘keep calm and carry on’ attitude during the pandemic should not excuse the constant failings of the government to fund and support the NHS, argues Comment Writer Jadzia Samuel

Written by Jadzia
Images by Chris Marchant

The issue of politics during this pandemic, as is the case with almost every aspect of the coronavirus situation, is an extremely complex matter. We are already being bombarded via the news and social media with constant statistics, death-tolls, and images of overwhelmed hospitals, all of which incite a unanimous sense of anxiety nationwide. We already have to confront the daily fear of existing in an uncertain, panic-stricken world, so why are people using this crisis to further their political agendas? How can anyone justify politicising the pandemic in such a way? Should this not be a time to unite as a nation, instead of dividing people due to differing party affiliations? At first, even as a passionate activist (and certainly no fan of the current Prime Minister), I, too, asked myself these questions. I could not comprehend why politicians, members of the shadow cabinet, and angry Twitter-warriors were criticising our government’s efforts on a daily basis. It seemed to be an effort to divide an already shell-shocked nation.

Unfortunately, as much as I agree that life would be far simpler if we could simply dismiss political concerns altogether at this time, to demand forced unity by ignoring the critical failures of our government is not the solution.

To demand forced unity by ignoring the critical failures of our government is not the solution

Now, more than ever before, it is vital to hold the government to account, both the decisions made before, and those in response to the crisis. Everyone has heard the new slogan of the crisis: “Stay at home, save lives, protect the NHS”. Concern for the National Health Service is suddenly at the forefront of everyone’s minds, and the responsibility is being placed on the individual to protect it.

Yet, however much Boris Johnson might sing the praises of the NHS medical workers, who are putting their lives on the line to fight this disease, we cannot forget that Johnson’s speeches are little more than empty words. Even if we entirely overlook the phenomenal lie he perpetuated during the Brexit campaign (where is this extra £250,000 per week being given to the NHS?), the failings of the Conservative government run deep. Prior to this crisis, the durability of the NHS had already been torn to shreds thanks to a decade of tory-led budget-cuts: over 17,000 beds have been cut since 2010, the abolition of nurse-training bursaries in 2017 has left 43,000 vacant roles, and numerous sectors of the service have been privatised. In addition to these cuts, (and more shocking still) is when in 2017, tory MPs infamously cheered as they blocked a 1% pay-rise for NHS staff. Although the government obviously cannot be held accountable for the catastrophic scale of the virus, they are wholly responsible for the weakened capacity of the NHS when dealing with the crisis.

On top of the damaging policies implemented before the onslaught of COVID-19, the government’s careless attitude towards the healthcare service has been equally poignant during the past few weeks. The UK has been horrifically impacted by the global shortage of personal protective equipment (PPE), including gloves, facemasks, and protective suits, which has left thousands of NHS medical workers in vulnerable positions. Despite our recent exit from the European Union, members reached out to offer the UK a chance to participate in EU procurement schemes, in order to help us obtain this life-saving equipment. Johnson, however, refused this help on the grounds of Brexit ideology, instead claiming via a spokesperson that they are “working with industry on a response to provide more equipment”. This shocking level of disregard for the safety of healthcare workers, only for the sake of political ideology, cannot be overlooked for the sake of “national solidarity”.

Calling upon the nation to applaud the NHS on a weekly basis is not a substitute for providing adequate equipment,

Calling upon the nation to applaud the NHS on a weekly basis is not a substitute for providing adequate equipment

nor is it a way to alleviate a decade of underfunding. Of course, I have stood in the streets, alongside thousands of people across the country, in order to express my gratitude and pride in our healthcare service. And, like the majority of people, I am also following government guidelines to stay at home and avoid social contact. Clearly, the role of the individual during this crisis cannot be understated: we all have a part to play in order to ease the pressure on the emergency services. However, the government’s rhetoric forces sole responsibility onto the individual; emphasising how each person must “stay at home, save lives, protect the NHS”, while failing to accept their own culpability in the situation, wholly privatises this issue. Now is not the time to allow a crisis mentality (the idea we should just “keep calm and carry on”) to blind us into ignoring the political failings of government. Sadly, it took a national crisis in order to uncover the true consequences of these failings, but we must not stay silent. Yes, we must pull together in solidarity as a nation, but we must also hold both the government and Boris Johnson, who have done nothing but fail the NHS, to account.

More Comment coverage like this…

Politics in the Time of a Pandemic

Poll of the Week: Clap For Carers