News Writer Charlie O’Keeffe reports on the cancellation of a lecture after the guest speaker refused to cross the picket line amid UCU strikes

Written by Charlie O'Keeffe

This week Saima Razzaq was scheduled to do a talk on ‘intersectionality’ at the University of Birmingham. In solidarity with the strikes, Ms Razzaq asked if the talk could be held in the Guild, allowing her to avoid crossing the picket line. Ms Razzaq has said that she requested the location change 35 minutes in advance, and that she found a room herself. However, rather than making this change, Ms Razzaq says the University cancelled her talk completely

Ms Razzaq was the first queer Muslim woman to lead a Pride Parade, in the UK. She is also the head of diversity and inclusion for Birmingham Pride. Ms Razzaq is a member of SEEDS (Supporting Education of Equality and Diversity in Schools), an LGBT organisation set up following protests about the No Outsiders programme in schools.  In addition, she is the founder of Boatel Birmingham, Birmingham’s only floating hotel and kitchen. This is a project which aims to make Birmingham’s canals more accessible to ‘Black people and people of colour’ through donating 20% of its profits to a creative fund and canal-based apprenticeships.

it felt like an inconvenience before I’d even arrived

Redbrick spoke to Ms Razzaq: ‘If I’m honest, from the tone of this person’s voice, it felt like I was an inconvenience before I’d even arrived. I’m not even sure if this representative even knew we are in LGBT History Month from the interactions I had.’ 

What I experienced yesterday was a microaggression and it certainly wasn’t the first time. Microaggressions in the workplace create hostile and toxic environments that discriminate against marginalised groups. As someone at the intersection of many identities, I’m not sure whether this individual took offence from having to take an order from a woman of colour, a Muslim or an LGBT individual, who had a differing stance to the protests then her.’

Redbrick asked the university for comment: ‘We were disappointed that Saima wasn’t able to deliver her lecture. Saima requested the change of location 20 minutes before it was due to start and despite our best efforts, the short notice made this impossible. As a result, the session was postponed. We are looking forward to arranging a new date soon and to Saima sharing her thoughts with students.’

Read more news articles here:

UoB Fails to Implement Suicide Guidance

UCU Announces February Strikes

UoB Promises to Sign Pledge Forbidding Use of NDAs in Cases of Sexual Violence